NHL Coyotes move to Houston?

I do agree. Houston fans will not show up if they aren’t winning

Uh oh!

Here’s another interesting development:

The Calgary Flames just backed out of their deal for a new arena to replace its current sucky one.

STAY TUNED!!!

1 Like

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/32995930

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1480256925283622916?s=20

1 Like

Come on project…PLEASE FAIL!!!

Make it a new home for the Yotes in Houston!!!

3 Likes

I live here in Phoenix, and while I’d LOVE to have the team move closer to civilization, especially with a nephew on the ASU Hockey team (also right there in Tempe), that team deserves a fresh start, and Houston may be the best place for that.

1 Like

I grew up playing Hockey up in Mississauga. Like one of you on here mentioned, I can still remember the smell of the Ice, cold air and the sound and feel of your blades digging into the smooth ice as we would skate around and run our warm up drills. Our high school coach would play select pieces from eye of a tiger, we are the champions and jump around (house of pain). The combo of music, smell and cold air would give you a surge of energy.
Hockey in Canada is like football here. There is a community rink on almost every corner were you can go and play some shinny.
Down south hockey gets very expensive mainly b/c the ice is very expensive to maintain. Were I lived we could rent a sheet of ice (off peak hours) for $80 per hour here that same Ice is $300 (These prices are at least a decade and a half old). It limits who and how many can play and so the fan base growth is very limited.
The absolute best hockey experience is playoff hockey. Watch a playoff game and you will see guys playing their hearts out. Some players are “playoff players”, very average during the season but absolutely amazing in the playoffs.

One of my childhood heroes and a guy that could both fight and score (a very rare thing) was Wendel Clark.

My problem with the Coyotes is they want the tax payers to build them a $1.7 Billion arena. That is 1,700 Million Dollars. We are already paying for playpens for the Texans, Astros, Rockets, and Dynamos. That is enough.

2 Likes

Agree. As much as I love hockey, Toyota Center should be the arena…no need to build another.

Build it at UH and I’m down

2 Likes

I absolutely hate seeing cities use tax payer money to build stadiums for pro teams. That kind of money can be used for more productive things. These teams should be able to fund their own stadiums given how much money they can pay the players and staffs. I get that this is how things are done and if your city wont then some other will and your team will leave but I think there can be better use of public funds.

1 Like

I would not want any Houston team called the capotes for obvious reasons.

Coyotes here in Texas takes on a whole new meaning.

2 Likes

It’s a great investment…and that’s the reason we do it

If they move here, we’ll rename them either the Aeros or Apollos.

1 Like

It’s great for the coyotes, not so much for the taxpayers of Houston.

1 Like

I would think it has to be the Aeros due to the history with that name.

Let’s leave the Apollos for the new NFL owner when he/she buys the Texans and opts to completely re-nane them. Of course that is ONLY if we can’t get the Oilers name back!

1 Like

Gang,

I just read that the Yotes are now negotiating for the use of Arizona State’s 5000 seat ice arena.

REALLY???

That’s laughable.

Just move ‘em to Houston for Christ’s sake.

2 Likes

I can’t see this ending well.

The issues with their proposed arena in Tempe are with building height and proximity to Sky Harbor, so I’m not sure that gets easily resolved.

I would think they would be able to pull MUCH better in Tempe, even if it’s only the 5000 at ASU for now. The team isn’t great, and Gila River is a ridiculous location. I’d like to see if attendance improves with them playing actually in middle of civilization, but, in the long run, I expect them to move. As they should.