Nice article on Derek Parish

It’s a Chron article behind a paywall. Y’all know the way around it as it’s been posted here numerous times. I forgot how. lol. Derek is one of my favorite players, and I know his mom comments on this site a lot. Sooooo, momma Parish, HOW IN THE HECK does your son consume 7 POUNDS of steak in one sitting?! :rofl:

12 Likes

Weights and measures for Houston’s Derek Parish: 7 pounds of steak and jersey No. 0

During a recent morning practice, Derek Parish lined up for a drill, his University of Houston football jersey rolled into a crop-top to show off his abs.
“I worked hard for these,” Parish joked.

Parish, a 6-2, 245-pound junior defensive lineman/fullback, has taken a different approach to what he eats. He has forsaken fast food and fried foods in favor of a diet loaded with protein, carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables.

“I gave up Popeyes and Whataburger,” he said. “I haven’t had them in a while.”

Before preseason camp began in early August, Parish had one final belt-busting meal. At a team event featuring the biggest appetites on the team, Parish “won” the competition between offensive and defensive linemen for consuming the most steak, devouring a remarkable, if not stomach-churning, seven pounds. That’s 112 ounces of meat. Rare, just like Parish prefers.

“I was literally taking 2-ounce cuts and swallowing it like a pill,” Parish said. “I showed up hungry.”

Said 6-2, 300-pound center Kody Russey: “He had his game face on. He wasn’t messing around.”

Another number associated with Parish this offseason that won’t tip the scale: zero.

That’s the new single-digit jersey number, voted on by teammates, that Parish will wear this season in what the coaching staff hopes becomes a tradition. Parish will become the second Cougar to wear No. 0 in a game, following linebacker Grant Stuard, who wore the jersey last season after an NCAA rule change.

“It was an honor,” Parish said of his selection for the jersey number, a switch from the No. 31 he wore the past three seasons. “Each and every day I want to uphold the standard and make it better than the guy who wore it last year.”

Coach Dana Holgorsen plans to allow the team to choose players to wear single-digit jerseys. The criteria is still being ironed out but is expected to heavily weigh a player’s work ethic, leadership and commitment to team.

“I think the significance of single-digit numbers is big based on you have to earn them and you’ve got to get team to vote for you,” Holgorsen said.

A few single-digit jersey numbers will be shared by players this season: wide receivers Bryson Smith and Nathaniel Dell (No. 1), quarterback Clayton Tune and linebacker Donavan Mutin (No. 3) and cornerback Marcus Jones and running back Chandler Smith (No. 8). The other single-digit jerseys belong to linebacker Deontay Anderson (No. 2), running back Ta’Zhawn Henry (No. 4), safety Hasaan Hypolite (No. 5), cornerback Damarion Williams (No. 6) and linebacker Jovanni Stewart (No. 9). No. 7 is retired in honor of former quarterbacks Case Keenum and David Klingler.

Doug Belk, UH’s associate head coach and defensive coordinator, said it is fitting Parish will follow Stuard in wearing No. 0.

“They both have the same type of characteristics,” Belk said. “They love football. They play hard. They run ’til the whistle blows. They are going to give relentless effort in everything they do.”

It’s that same work ethic and production that has Belk expecting big things from Parish in what should be a deep rotation along the defensive line.

The Pearland product has seen an increase in playing time with nine starts the past two seasons, including five during the coronavirus-abbreviated 2020 season. Parish offers a rush option off the edge, having finished third on the team last season in sacks (3.5) and tackles for loss (5½).

“He attacks the weight room with relentless effort. He’s invested a lot into his body,” Belk said. “It’s a challenge for anybody who is in a training session with him. It’s a challenge for anybody who practices one-on-one with him. Every time he takes a rep, he’s full speed.”

Along with his role on the defensive line, Parish could also see action at fullback, where he played some in the New Mexico Bowl against Hawaii.

Holgorsen said he’s never had a two-way player in his coaching career and that the first priority for Parish will be on defense.

“Sign me up,” Parish said, “(Playing fullback) helps me understand both sides of the ball even more and raises my football IQ. I’m just trying to be a sponge and learn everything.”

Belk is looking for the same results on the field from Parish that he delivers at the dinner table.

“If he can turn how much he likes to eat into production,” Belk said, “I think we’ll be just fine.”

11 Likes

The dude can eat. We should start a go fund me for his mother and her groceries.

5 Likes

Thank you for posting this! Funny thing is I’ve never seen him eat that much at once he said it took 2 hours to eat that steak. When they both lived at home, we’d have to hide food so they wouldn’t eat it all at once. We’d have a stock pile so they didn’t run out. Those two could eat, still can!

14 Likes

I think parents of defensive lineman should get a grocery tax credit.

How and the heck is Saltgrass Steakhouse not offering him a NIL deal?

13 Likes

That was a great article about a great young man. He is one of those players that makes us proud on and off the field. I am expecting big things from Parish this fall.

9 Likes

Derek is so much fun to watch. He is a beast! Can’t wait to see what he does this season.

Also, I would ask how he consumes 7lbs of steak, but I hope he consumes qb’s the way he eats those steaks. Lol!

Good luck to Derek and our entire defense, if they all have that hunger, I think our defense will surprise some people.

Go Coogs!

4 Likes

My pleasure, Mrs Parish!

1 Like

Time for Derek to visit Amarillo and do the 72 oz Big Texans Steak Challenge if he hasn’t yet. Last time I was in Amarillo, I watch a father and daughter attempted the challenge and wasn’t even close to finishing it.

2 Likes

I don’t think this would be a good idea. Have you read the rules?
“72oz Steak Dinner Challenge Includes: Shrimp Cocktail, Baked Potato, Salad, with Roll, Butter, and of course the 72oz Steak”
"1. Entire meal must be completed in one hour. If any of the meal is not consumed (swallowed)…YOU LOSE!

1. Before the time starts, you will be allowed to cut into the steak, and take one bite. If the steak tastes good and is cooked to your satisfaction, we will start the time upon your acceptable approval. The time will not stop, and the contest is on, so make SURE before you say “yes.”

2. Once you have started you are not allowed to stand up, leave your table, or have anyone else TOUCH the meal."

1 Like

Yikes, that’s a lot of food!

1 Like

Derek is my favorite player this year ( and it has nothing to do with his prodigious steak appetite) because:
Few d-linemen get the recognition they deserve. Derek has blown past that with his on the field play. He is one of those whose motor only knows one speed-wide open. I was off my couch (not easy to do at my age and condition) with his TD last year.
Derek’s mother takes the time to give us some helpful inside info. Last relative to contribute like that was the aunt of a player I got to know through her posts. The players name was Case…something. (Anyone remember her?). Derek’s mother is a teacher and I have a special affinity for those similarly committed.
Derek’s brother serves in the airborne special forces.
Need I say more?

5 Likes

Thank you for those kind words. I am so proud of him and his twin. I hope Derek surpasses his previous stats and helps this defense wreak havoc this year. Go Coogs​:paw_prints::paw_prints:

11 Likes

I think it was Temple that used to do the single-digit thing. Maybe it still does.

It was strange at first seeing a lineman with a single-digit jersey, but it’s an easy and noticeable way to award the leaders and fire breathers.

2 Likes

Great story about Derek!

Look forward to our Defense doing what Derek’s brother does…Kick @ss and take names!

2 Likes

Of course I remember Case’s Aunt Amy.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/theathleticnfl/status/1650590684401770511?s=46&t=JFMWF6D7aDpy43TFXHHkhQ

Round 7, No. 245: Derek Parish, FB, Houston

Parish was a pass rusher in college (while doing a bit of everything) then moved to fullback for Patriots coaches at the Shrine Bowl. It’s not clear exactly what his role would be as a pro, but the Pats seemed to like him in the pre-draft process and could start him out on special teams.

Brugler: “Parish has a limited body of work on offense, but he is passionate about football with elite competitive toughness, which will make it extremely difficult for a coaching staff to cut him. He has the makeup of a special teams ace.”

9 Likes

I see him making a mark other than special teams (though I see a return man requiring hospitalization in the future).

Wasn’t Dat Ngyuen “undersized”?

I think our former center Ben Fricke was “undersized”. A very sad early end to his life.

2 Likes

“2023 NFL draft prospects whose PFF grades over the past two seasons averaged 80.0 or better.”
(Tune 2nd & Tank 5th at position)

3 Likes

Channel 13 news had a nice little feature on him yesterday. Gina Gaston commented to the Sports Director and said people get stories done on them working out in their underwear. He replied with a body like his, yes you do