Nick Saban on College Football

So there all sorts of articles on Nick Saban wanting to clean up the out of control college football.

So, let me gets this straight because I am a little slow.

It is OK to pay the coach $10 million. The problem begins when we pay the kid who takes the hit a couple of nickels and dimes.

I just heard an Analyst on ESPN talk about putting the kids on a contract. Of course, I am not entirely opposed to the contract. As long as that contract is negotiated by someone who has the best interest of the child. Yes, child in mind.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not talking about the thing that I usually talk about. That’s for another day however, the kid needs A very sophisticated agent, or lawyer, or both for this, and not some lawyer, wearing a Leisure suit, and a white belt, selected by Bubba at the car dealership down the road.

2 Likes

I think everyone in college football land is just winging it right now - from the NCAA to the administrators to the coaches to the players.

Nobody knows what the hell is going on. The entire thing is such a mess and out of control because too much has happened way too quickly. NIL, Transfer Portal, CFP, Realignment, etc…

Everyone right now is just looking out for themselves and will deal with the consequences later on down the road

8 Likes

I’ve wondered why they don’t sign a contract now for NIL. So much money per year to play for a certain school.

1 Like

Certain people’s labor is worth more than others. A coach that can win as many national titles as Nick saban is worth much more than one athlete on a team of 80+

4 Likes

As far as I’ve seen, generally speaking, the CEO makes more than everyone else in the company and I don’t begrudge the CEO making that coin. It took a lot to get there usually.

Saban is a hypocrite’s hypocrite. The guy had one of the finest and well oiled bag man networks going and NIL beat it with an ugly stick, allowing others to not only compete on the same level but out gun Alabama. Him crying wolf now is extremely, extremely funny.

2 Likes

Because the NIL is between the player and third parties. They cannot be linked otherwise the school could become legally liable. The very nature of NIL is that it is not supposed to be paid by the school.

I’d add they probably need access to tax planner / financial adviser too as part of the NIL
contract package. If you have an 18 year old, people have a better chance understanding
why they are kids, even though legally we call them adults.

If I contract with you to play football for Houston for two years and you choose to leave after one, that’s a breach and I’m not paying you. I don’t know how that is not enforceable.

I don’t think it’s OK to pay a coach 10 million but what do I know? Let’s do a bigger wrong thing to fix the wrong thing.

Not enforceable because technically paying players to play for a certain team is not NIL and is still against the rules I believe.

Coaching salaries are in line with any other major corporation.

I showed this to my lawyer Saul Goodman and he felt attacked.

Most of these contacts are year by year, so if you leave after year 1, then I won’t have to pay and he won’t have to play.

In terms of the school, they want no part of it since it would appear that you are somehow employed by the school. Schools don’t want this liability.