Nike and its new Olympic Games uniforms

It’s not that I won’t speak for women, it’s just I won’t speak without my wife’s permission.

2 Likes

And I’m saying it’s not my place to speak for them on that. Or the other way for that matter.

I do understand your point and those on the other side that are trying to be helpful (as opposed to just looking for reason to be outraged or controlling).

But we are a bunch of dudes (I think we all are anyway) talking about what a woman should or shouldn’t be wearing.

1 Like

I resemble that remark. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I mean… the discussion isn’t about what women should or shouldn’t be wearing. And I haven’t said a thing about what any athlete should or shouldn’t be wearing. I am simply debunking the misinformation and pointing out facts that Nike provides a plethora of options for both men and women athletes and no one has to and much less is forced to compete in the kit in the OP if they don’t want to. One side is being reactionary with ignorance and misinformation. The other is being rational with understanding for what is reality and the facts.

1 Like

Probably, but they may be right at some level. I really don’t know and don’t feel like it’s my place to say.

That’s all I’m saying.

1 Like

They would first need to present a coherent thesis based in facts and reality for them to be right at any level. The complaints they’ve put forward:

Nike is sexualizing women by forcing them to compete in the singlet onesie. False

Nike designed a skimpier uniform for women. False

No athlete wants to wear that. False

Nike should provide other options for athletes to wear. They already do.

And all of it based on just a pretty bad publicity photo of one ill-fitting kit on a mannequin. It’s all uniformed outrage. Learning the facts and understanding the reality is available to all of us and correcting misinformation and pushing back on ignorance is anyone’s place regardless of the subject matter.

1 Like

It is manufactured outrage. A version of the uniform has been available and athletes can choose to wear it or not, athletes in other countries already wear a version of it.

Just more fake outrage.

2 Likes

If there is a choice, I definitely agree.

I have no idea what choices in uniform are or are not available to women in the 2024 Olympics.

But I know a lot of women athletes have complained about the new uniforms in several articles I’ve read.

This makes me think that the choices aren’t as broad as some of you are insisting are available.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/10j4mf1/why_do_female_athletes_wear_such_revealing/?rdt=52148

There is a post that explains why the uniforms are the way they are for women going back to the 1984 Olympics which is an Interesting take on it.

Scroll to a post by lunchill where he or she says “the history of it, etc”……according to interview with Lauren fleshmen etc

Prob also for ratings. The volleyball girls often freely choose to wear what they wear bc they need ratings for tv/ money etc. Many times it’s their choice which is why you see various dress styles in track where some wear the guy shorts and some wear bikinis.

Based on what evidence? We literally can look at what Nike-sponsored women are competing in at any Diamond League Series event right now or what they’ve competed in at recent World Championships and Olympics.

The athletes making comments are doing what other people are. Reacting to how it looks on a mannequin and not a real human body. Are we really to believe that the premier athletic apparel company suddenly doesn’t know how to design gear for women?

Here’s Kate Moon an Olympic and World Champion T&F saying they have nearly 2 dozen options to select from for competition gear.

1 Like

And Top25 sprinkles in some of his well known objectification of women.

1 Like

Quoted from your quoted response:

“I want to be clear and start by saying that what was shown on the mannequin was concerning, and warranted the response it received.”

People reacted to the athletes’ reactions. This athlete agrees that the reaction was warranted to some degree. But you know best …

1 Like

If you can’t objectify women, who can you objectify?

2 Likes

That is the core of the argument. Anybody thinking otherwise is doing so on purpose.
Why should any woman be subjected to wear this?
A woman wearing no clothes looks less offensive than this outfit. The same goes for women’s volley ball. What is this the lingerie football league?
nike knows exactly what they are doing. Women’s athletes brought this up to everybody’s attention and rightfully so. Are these runners suppose to wear a baywatch swimming suit?

Yes it’s the strategy where one doesn’t tell knee jerking reactionaries that they’re being knee jerk reactionaries in order for them to feel heard and seen so then one can give them the actual truth and facts later on. People’s initial reactions without context, facts and/or critical thinking should not be weighed the same as the actual context and facts. It shouldn’t get much consideration at all when the concerns in question are allayed by what’s actually happening in reality.

“To some degree” is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. People saw a bad picture of suit on a mannequin and overreacted which is par for the course on social media. Not sure why we can’t admit that’s the case and keep it moving. Just because there was outrage and consternation doesn’t mean the outrage and consternation was legitimate.

I may not know best but I do know the facts.

Who exactly is being subjected?

After further review some women athletes are calming down about it. One athlete said she likes to run in as little as possible. The article said they have choices and can wear basically what the guys wear so options are there and no one is being forced to wear only 1 option.

As far as ridiculous uniforms , what about the guys uniforms where it’s basically package exposure which is worse than the women’s uniforms which has been the case for maybe a decade at least. No outrage on the guy’s uniforms? Several women I know have mentioned that you can see the guy’s package and it’s wrong and they would rather not see.

Double standard here and outrage should apply equally if being done. Go back to the regular shorts from the 80s for men and women then no issues at least in track.

Should go back to this style for men and women in track

Runners will never give up an advantage once found.

The whole “pout-rage” over this is comical.

2 Likes

Where can one buy the women’s replica outfit, Victoria’s Secret?

1 Like