No meeting with PAC schools after all

doesn’t the media negotiate this contract, though, under the assumption that teams are trying to leave?

1 Like

Absolutely. It is a game of inches for Pac 12 and Big 12 at this point. Big 12 is on offense. Pac 12 is on defense. Let’s see who wins out.

My guess is Pac 12 is too weak without major football markets like the Big 12 has. They are the ones who have to do more work to convince other P5 schools to jump ship. Big 12 wins out in the end landing 4 to 6 Pac 12 schools. The remaining Pac 12 schools bring in top MWC schools, SMU, and UTEP (Pac 12 brand is still more valuable so MWC won’t be the one absorbing them).

That is exactly what the media will assume and with good reason, today’s public mouthing of PAC unity notwithstanding.

Combine that with their probable unwillingness to sign a GOR, and it’s unlikely they will get the numbers needed to keep their members’ eyes from straying.

At least, that’s what I’m hoping.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1544511263023177728?s=21&t=LLS5txLMwMJWpukkyHd5sg

Here is the main thing you can glean from today.

“ Meanwhile, the Pac-12 is just trying to stay viable. On Tuesday, the league announced it was going to market early to negotiate the rights for its 10 remaining teams. The Pac-12’s current contract with ESPN and Fox expires in 2024, though Fox isn’t expected to be interested in Pac-12 rights going forward.”

It’ll be Espn who will decide what it wants to support.

Sounds like the new Pac-12 TV contract might be 100% ESPN.

Look, i know for a fact that when USC and UCLA went public with their move, every school left in the PAC 10 called the Big 12…if they didnt they would have been utterly negligent with the future of their schools, now for whatever reasons they might have decided upon a course of action that doesnt include the Big 12 but i doubt it

If they did, some schools were probably taken a back by the B12 being choosey who they wanted, not wanting a wholesale merger. So change of direction, by the PAC, is my speculation. Besides the PAC goes under Kliavkov loses his job. He’ll be the guy the PAC died on, while on his watch. Not a good legacy.

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/1544655007747817474?t=uUlTf0I_ZYu5w-OWLZe4AQ&s=19

This CFB writer n several others that have close ties to BIG12 are the ones to follow for the BIG12 next steps.

Edit: definitely not McKyver imo. Many of us could be Mckyver :smile:

Edit: oh n yes sorry-- Paywall. 12.00/yr best bargain there is-- TheAthletic

1 Like

Meetings? No

Phone conversations? Yes

7 Likes

Tail #’s

4 Likes

Exactly, if Max says there in serious conversations, then this has legs.

4 Likes

I appreciate what Max says, and he said it only an hour ago.

But I am less optimistic about the Big 12 getting any PAC-12 teams based on the fact that it didn’t happen when it seemed that it would.

I hope that I’m wrong.

As for the Alliance, didn’t the PAC see how their last “alliance” went?

As for the PAC poaching Big 12 teams. Please. No one willingly takes a demotion and/or jumps on board a sinking ship.

But if the Big 12 is going to poach PAC-12 schools…I WISH WE’D GET ON WITH IT!!!

Huh? News of USC/UCLA. What? Just broke about a week ago or so. That instant gratification mentality. May take weeks to consumate something like this, maybe months. From all indication things are moving quite rapidly. I’m pretty sure the PAC is trying everything within power to convince them to stay and I’m sure their listening. Lot of moving parts and hearts going on here

4 Likes

I hope you are right.

Recent developments discouraged me a bit.

News flash: Nike just pulled a major chess move.

Don’t keep the PAC alive and give the PAC a good TV deal. Nike removes a lot of TV spots of 17Billion world wide.

PAC could kill the Big12.

Don’t put money on it.

Why would Nike do that? How does that benefit the company?

Phil has shareholders to answer to

2 Likes