No More Brisket in BBQ Joints?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/bbq/article/brisket-expensive-texas-bbq-18667025.php

I doubt that happens brisket is the king of BBQ, but maybe the consumer quits buying it, I mentioned the other day to someone the prices we’re getting ridiculous for what has been long viewed as the worst cut of meat on the cow that is now the king in Texas

1 Like

It’s fairly simple. Learn how to cook choice or select grade briskets the way OG pit guys did it and still do it. Get back to roots smoking scraps and problem cuts expertly and give up all this crafts farm prime meat.

2 Likes

I think fajita meat( skirt ) is the worst.

4 Likes

IMG_4576

1 Like

Saw a cattleman in Wyoming being interviewed on YouTube video. He said prices are high due to the large grocery stores Wal-Mart , Kroger, HEB etc. He said the cattleman and meat packers aren’t making much it’s the grocery stores marking up prices, especially there buying cheap import beef from Brazil and other places.

1 Like

NAVASOTA LIVESTOCK AUCTION CO.
FOR SATURDAY, JANUARY 27, 2024
Volume: 747 Total Sellers: 129 Total Buyers: 72
Trend of Market: $ 10 - $ 15 Higher & very active
WEIGHT: STEERS: HEIFERS:
150-300 lbs. 1.85—3.65 1.85—3.20
300-400 lbs. 1.75—3.675 1.75—3.125
400-500 lbs. 1.75—3.20 1.75—2.80
500-600 lbs. 1.75 –2.78 1.70—2.71
600-700 lbs. 1.75—2.67 1.70—2.27
Slaughter Bulls: .85—1.325
Slaughter Cows: .70—1.16
Pairs N /A
Stocker Cows $ 850 - $1500
Plainer Cattle Bring Below These Figures
FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL:
GREG GOUDEAU 936-825-6545 OR 936-661-8432
OR FOR A FREE MARKET REPORT GO TO

Sale Each Saturday
Goats & Sheep @ 9 a.m. – Cattle @ noon

I’ve bought cows there. Been a while. I think I paid $.40/pound for 300 pound heifers

Yep that Cattleman said buy direct from them you save a ton of money

Pretty sure we are at or near all time highs on sales of live cattle.

For example, 2004 was around $101 vs $251 today. Inflation calculator pegs 2004 dollars at
about $165.

The problems we face down here is the high cost of hay due to two years of extreme drought. We do get additional income from USDA programs to help with that.

30 dollars for a pound of brisket is crazy.

I have lived through 3 different eras of tech and i still cant believe gas use to be under a dollar and now brisket???

Mind you i havent been to any barbecue spot in a while for that very reason. Its gotten crazy.

1 Like

I make my own bbq. Funny, when I lived in Latin America we used to eat churrasco as a steak. We didn’t slice it up into fajita. We thought it was right and tight that way. When I got back to the US I barely touched a churrasco and I can’t stand fajitas. But when I go back to visit my in-laws I sit right down and eat the churrasco like a champion. Weird.

When in Rome…I guess.

I am with you. To me I asked for flank steak at the grocery store and other times skirt. It never has been consistent as if even butchers or store “labelers” do not know either. Out of the two skirt steak I believe is supposed to be better and more tender than flake.
Skirt steak is delicious with just rice and peppers but again…which is which in the eyes of the butcher…

Yea same here.im not sure the difference between inside skirt and outside skirt though.

Same with crawfish- once those Vietnamese boil restaurants started exploding here they basically set the demand for year round crawfish which changed the market

The old days you waited until March and April cause they need warmer weather to grow better

It’s insane what they charge for brisket - but that didn’t justify why potatoe costs have not went up but they want to charge you damn near $30 for a stuffed potato :joy:

Same with ox tails

All you media folks worshipping these bbq pit masters who open and close restaurants just for fun are to blame :joy:

2 Likes

Fajitas (aka arracheras) were a staple of my family’s BBQ gatherings going back to the 70’s in the RGV. I like fajitas, a lot. They need to be prepared accordingly: the prep, marinade, cooking technique, and serving. Heck, I had never heard of a ribeye till late high school…much less tasted one. Fajita meat was inexpensive back then…used to get it at a mom & pop grocery store with a butcher chop. Once the fajita craze took off in TX…well good luck getting it cheap.

As for slow cooked BBQ, I didn’t know what brisket was. I only knew of barbacoa, also a staple. And, of course, cabrito. We used to get barbacoa on Sunday mornings after Mass with fresh tortillas from the corner tortilla factory. Those were the days…

2 Likes

They taken what use to be the masses low cost go to food and made it expensive fajitas, brisket, ox tails, hammocks, etc

1 Like

My good friend growing up used to drive us down to Matamoras meat market off of Washington. The tacos were hands down still the best fajita tacos I have ver eaten. His family owned like 16 of those markets.

As for crawfish. My wife wanted some this weekend. So we were driving down 2920 on Wednesday and saw that Hans was open for the season. $13 a pound. Guess I can no longer afford to eat the delicacy known as mud bugs.

1 Like

DeHoyos family. My brother grew up with one of sons.

Actually, skirt was one of the only beef cuts the Japanese started allowing tariff free in the 80’s. The price started up then. Japs were eating more skirt than Americans

1 Like