No Shot

Lots of feelings going on up in here.

4 Likes

Our conference ranks 10th in RPI, most conference members have an RPI below 100, and the Coogs strength of schedule is 144.

Only way the AAC gets two teams into a Regional is if someone besides ECU wins the conference tournament.

No reason for it unless they know Whit can’t get it done OR wanted a cake walk of 50+ wins. (misjudging the pitching badly)

Baseball powers don’t duck teams. Need Quad 2 or better OOC & weekday games for seeding.

Lower 1st round hosts get a pissed off 3d/4th SEC team, a Northern team having a generational season w a travel crowd, & a Deep South dark horse. (for example)

Needed @ 50 wins + vs this schedule for an at large.
No Quad 4 losses and a few Quad 3 losses. Add a win vs OK (Quad 1) & a few more in Quad 2.

Next year - RPI Team Sheet needs to look like TCU in 23.

What went wrong ?
AAC as high as 5th in 2019.
ConUSA teams help but the future is grim 4 remaining teams at the bottom.

2 Likes

You can’t play a bunch of hillbillies OOC every week when you’re in our conference.

1 Like

Especially if you are going to lose to them!

3 Likes

Which means that next year we can schedule nothing but hillbillies in OOC, right?

1 Like

No, they’re in-conference now. :smiley:

1 Like

It’s not just the last two years, it’s since Whitting replaced Noble.
Over his 16 seasons, Noble’s teams played TSU 7 times. Six of those games came in his first three years as HC. Those six might have been already scheduled by Bragg Stockton. Whitting has played TSU 13 times in 13 seasons.
My thought on why Whitting chooses to play weak schedules is that he is more concerned with winning % than RPI, and he also knows most people are more impressed by winning %.
I don’t understand why Whitting seems to think that way. He was Noble’s AC during the most successful years, so he saw firsthand the value of playing a top ranked non-conference schedule.

4 Likes

In fairness, he had to play TSU so much because UTEP wasn’t available.

3 Likes

UTEP? Don’t you mean SMU or Tulsa?
Oh, I forgot, we’re talking non-conference. :laughing:

1 Like

Maybe he thought people would think it was the other TSU.

Tarleton State?

The other other one.

Nope, The only TSU that is good—-Texas St.

This is shenanigans from the top down. He can’t make that schedule without Pez signing off. If they don’t know what they’re doing at this point then we’re screwed. I don’t buy it. Pez knew what this schedule would do to us and he let it go by because it would possibly keep him from having to make a tough decision. I admit it. Not a big Pez fan.

1 Like

There is no try; only do.

Go Coogs!

It didn’t work like planned. We were lucky to be 16-15 in that awful OOC run.

1 Like

Butch, what year was it we were only a game or two above .500 but made a regional?

Those were the type schedules that get it done.

2 Likes

Can’t remember but I remember that the schedule was mind blowing and we had really good crowds unlike the last few years

2 Likes

2001, Freshmen Michael Bourn, Hyung Cho & company. 29-28 after the C-USA tournament.
2000 was the super vs San Jose St. then we got wiped out in the draft.
Noble reloaded and they were just as good in 2002.
Something Noble said back then that really stuck with me: “To be the best, you have to play the best.”

3 Likes