North Shore in Trouble for Recruiting

Think high schools aren’t recruiting athletes? Think again (houstonchronicle.com)

Snip:

There are online rankings for first-grade basketball players. According to one website, a kid from Houston, who stands all of 4-foot-4, is a four-star recruit and rated the No. 2 player in the country.

He “is a super quick PG with an elite handle, and not only can he break his defender down and get into the paint, he’s a 3-point threat if left open. (He) also has a good feel for the game, and plays with good pace and poise.”

Truly, we are a sick bunch of creatures. Next: NIL for newborns.

10 Likes

Oh man. So what do you do for a living? “Assistant basketball scout for Houston’s K-4 leagues”.

1 Like

Sperm donors. Tall, athletic, spotless medical history. Gonna make a lot of money!

1 Like

Sampson can’t afford to let this pint size elite PG.out of there rearview mirror. I guess Kellen be coach by time he’s ready for CBB if he goes to colleges may go straight into a NBA development league😆

Now with text mesages this is documented, part of the power in powerhouse programs is kids moving and transfering in. I used to build houses in Katy 20 years ago, and I built a house for a guy who moved to Katy from California just so his son could play at Katy… funny thing was the kid hated football.

Naw - recruiting? lol

Worst kept secret in Houston - if anyone ever followed the history of them - they were pretty much decent but nothing to write home about until the late 90s and then they exploded on the scene - you don’t stay that dominant in Houston these days unless you have a “system” in place

North Shore borders Channelview, CE King, HISD, Pasadena - they’re close enough to attract kids who don;t want to stay in those situations - but the threat to North Shore now is the Humble ISD schools on the Beltway (Summer Creek, Atascosita) and CE King (new facilities) so its getting pretty intense

Galena Park is in the same district and a joke

Outside of that grades case in 1999, Katy has slid under the radar as all the new schools in Katy ISD come and go but Katy High remains consistent somehow with less enrollment - no way that zone produces a “better” football player than the others - Morton Ranch is right down the street and has little success - but surprisingly Katy High hasn’t touched other Katy ISD stars in the area like Milroe, etc. so they;re a little more respectful unlike the city schools lol

Unfortunately, neighborhood pride and loyalty are out the door - these new age athletes are being recruited from birth and funnelled into little league programs and 7-on-7 teams tied to certain high schools

and the newer schools in high growth areas have taken full advantage

Iowa Colony opened with babies playing but they played 4A so far but those babies were pretty talented so they beat up on the small towns in football and basketball - they’ll be 5A next year but these areas off 288 have drawn attention from every kid on the South Side as its no coincidence Manvel, Iowa Colony, Shadow Creek have been strong while other schools close by can’t get that same impact kid mysteriously

2 Likes

This is going to be the best t-shirt ever printed.

The Katy way of cultivating culture, discipline and technique is becoming much more difficult with players not showing the patience to develop.

1 Like

Episcopal HS doesn’t hide it

As I recall, private schools don’t have to.

3 Likes

Then Jersey Village must be the cleanest program in the state. We’ve been downtrodden much of the past thirtysomething years.

North shore has been doing it for years. Taking the best kids from surrounding schools.

You had a group that wanted to keep jersey village just for jersey village folks but they didn’t realize the talent that helped them get over the hump at one time came from outside the area

Jersey village had everything east of them for a long time which was carverdale, hollister,
Etc.

But a faction got cy fair isd to send carverdale and other areas PAST JV to cy falls and then cy ridge and the rest was history but it’s so watered down out there now it’s a shame

1 Like

I drive by the school everyday lol
The only good thing coming out of JV is Paul Wall and Chamillionaire.

2 Likes

Don’t forget Patrick Paul!

Well as someone who built four years ago in one of Katy’s new developments, I support the new neighborhood school, Jordan High!

Hopefully they’ll be as good as Katy HS someday!

Not uncommon to see HS coaches at middle school games. Public and private school coaches.

It happens in basketball too. A particular Catholic college preparatory school comes to mind.