Now THIS is an award to be PROUD of!

7 Likes

How are the awards determined? UH has been one of the most diverse universities in the country since I was in school in the 60’s.

5 Likes

Quote: The INSIGHT Into Diversity HEED Award, open to all colleges and universities across the U.S. and Canada, measures an institution’s level of achievement and intensity of commitment in regard to broadening diversity and inclusion on campus through initiatives, programs, and outreach; student recruitment, retention, and completion; and hiring practices for faculty and staff.

1 Like

I am super proud of our graduation rates. In the mid eighties, our numbers were terrible (as were UT and A&M), so we started the long process of improvement (tutors, mandatory study halls, etc.). Most importantly, we started recruiting young men who were students and who were not academic risks. On top of that, it has been my observation that we have year in and year out overtly steered away from bad apples. We got a couple of knuckleheads here and there, but nothing like other programs.

The stories that us older folks can share about other programs in the nineties are amazing…

1 Like