Nwankwo

men’s hockey

1 Like

Well, I think we should table any discussion of adding a sport until we are in a P5 conference for a couple of years.

1 Like

How about adding men’s soccer

3 Likes

Wrestling, Soccer, and Hockey. I have never played any of those sports, nor was there ever an opportunity to play said sports growing up in central Texas.

1 Like

If that is true it won’t be for long! Once Texas has embraced wrestling the kids will get better as the coaching and the intensity of the training will also be improved.

I have seen a lot of great wrestlers coming out of California and other states that are not known for wrestlers, particularly in the UFC. A kid coming out of Iowa doesn’t have any magical supernatural power in wrestling over kids from other states!

Wrestling is a dominant sport in that state and kids start wrestling earlier in that state than kids in other states and they take wrestling very seriously over there! Once other states start to take more interest in wrestling you will see more great wrestlers coming out of other states rather than Iowa!

I guess it doesn’t matter to me which of these sports they would add since I only go to football and basketball and on rare occasion baseball and softball.

A lot of the ufc wrestling is long after college. Also the true ‘wrestlers is in the ufc like Cormier (Oklahoma State via Louisiana/olympics), Cejedo (Colorado high school, won nationals straight to olympics), Stipe (Ohio Cleveland State), lesner (university of Minnesota) are freakish athletes. There is a great video of Cormier going around right now, while he is coaching a high school team, wrestling Khabib and his team. Khabib isn’t even a top 5 wrestler in his group and is 28-0 as a pro fighter. Cormier is shown showing him techniques he was unaware of.

Wrestling is so pure. It is amazing to watch. I dabble in it as a 41 year old. Dabble some judo as well. Same thing, technique over strength and if you screw up it is on you. No one else.

Austin high schools had girls wrestling about twelve years ago. My grand daughter was state runner up. The competition was fierce and the girl who beat her was later disqualified for using steroids. It paid off later in life. She was attacked by a rapist in WDC about five years ago and she left the guy crumpled on the curb! We should have soccer and wrestling. Hockey might be too expensive.

1 Like

2007 was when Cy Woods started both boys and girls. I will miss watching her wrestle but I also know that at 5 foot 6, 140 lbs she can throw, pin and subdue anyone she wants.