Offensive needs from our 4 offensive players

this is just a boredom thread, because the offseason is boring

our defense is going to be elite, national title elite, our offense is going to be suspect as is… Uzan ability to play make will play a major role in our offense

beyond pg play making, the development of the 4 potential major scorers on our team will play a major role. if 1 or more of the below take a big step forward , our title hopes becomes more realistic

LJ
-already elite catch and shoot
-great floater game

IMPROVENTMENT AREAS
-needs to improve shooting off the dribble
-ability to score on top defenders (was too easily shut down by good defenders)
-improve playmaking ability

• note most major transfers/jucos for us have big 2nd years, after just okay 1st years. if that trend continues LJ could be in a major year

dream development comp (exclusively on offense): Markus Howard

Sharp
-fearless
-top tier shooter
-decent touch around the rim
-starting to take ownership of the team

IMPROVENTMENT AREAS
-His handles have to improve a lot
-Has to learn to take on top defenders (was too easily shut down by good defenders)

dream development comp (exclusively on offense): Myles powell

Arcenueax
-good foundation at all aspects, no blatant weakness

IMPROVENTMENT AREAS
-there is no area he doesnt need improvement- not great at anything
-improved toughness
-has a ton of developmental paths, but id love for him to become a more aggressive driver and cutter. i think him being a decent shooter has become a clutch and preventing him from developing in other areas of his game that have high potential

dream development comp (exclusively on offense): Jordan miller

Mercy Miller
-has a built track record, been a top scorer since he was sophomore in HS

Questionable AREAS
-he doesnt have a skill that he is just dominant coming in with (ie handles, shooting, beating defenders etc.) will be unclear which ones translate

dream 1st year productions (exclusively on offense): Marcus Williams - just his freshmen year

the comps are dream development for next year only…im not saying that is their ceiling, or that they will reach that comp next year for certain.
i picked similar sized players and similar skills with perceived similar weakness and could develop into their strengths

these 4 and their offensive development likely define the season

10 Likes

for most of the team, what they will be is pretty much predictable and within the range of their skillsets and what they will do, not counting freshmen…

Terrance is this teams xfactor in that he has more transformative range than anyone on this roster, and a wide range in how good he’ll be

how good he is will define the team identity… he is in his 3rd year which mean a huge breakout possibility is there

4 guard line up? going without true pg? …will heavily be dependent on arc

1 Like

Right now, the biggest question this team has, is who’s the guy they go to when they desperately need a bucket or can create a great shot for someone else (at crunch time)?

LJ has been more of a catch and shoot player and hasn’t really shown that he has the handles to break his defender down and get into the paint when he needs to.

Sharp definitely started to show around the beginning of Feb the ability to take it to the hole but mainly by using his strength (not by breaking his defender down with his handles to create separation and getting into the paint). Hopefully he works on this over the summer because this team will need this from him and by doing so it will take his game to another level.

Roberts has consistently shown the ability to back his man down into the paint and then get the defender on his hip and spin the opposite way to get separation which he uses to kiss it off the glass or a baby hook. Having Shead on the court with Roberts teams were reluctant to double J’Wan when he started to do this. If we don’t have someone who can break down the D like Shead could do (consistently) to get his shot or create a good look for another teammate teams will start to double Roberts when he gets into the paint.

The kid from OU looks to have good handles but he also hasn’t really been a consistent threat of being able to finish once he gets into the paint. Hopefully this part of his game improves because we’ll definitely need this from him.

Will be interesting to see how Mercy’s game translates. Showed in high school that he has the handles to get into the paint and create his own shot but in college? Looking forward to finding out.

1 Like

agreed for the most part’

i think lj does have the handles and speed, alteast enough to get enough room to shoot; example

to me its all mental for LJ… 95% of the time when you good a defender on cryer in iso he just defers …he nautrally doesnt have that offensive killer instinct to take on great defense, he doesnt have the “you cant guard me” mentality…
and also the few times he shoots of the dribble his percentages are poor…but that is also mental, you arent a 45% from 3 shooter on catch and shoot and 27% on off the dribble - its the same shooter, its mental and maybe slight mechanics

i think lj has the natural skills to be a elite level score, i think markus howard is a good developmental comp for him… howward was a drastically bette scorer than LJ but nothing howard does that i dont think lj cant do skill wise… lj just doent have that instinct

Sharp is the opposite, he has the killer instinct in him, he just doesnt have the handles to back the instincts… if he had the handles hed be a scary offensive weapon… that has to be his development area in the summer

and then arc is the xfactor. he is 6’7 and can shoot… if he could potential but the special sauce of our offense, no big can stay with him if he takes the reigns as a driver , and is too big for most guards

if he ever steps up from “developmental player” to “key player” the potential of this teams shoots up…he has the agility and size to be a mismatch every game

1 Like

and note for cryer is that every major transfer/juco their 1st year are just okay, but their 2nd year was when they really shined

corey, grimes, dejon, dotson, rob gray…etc. that could be a big trend for LJ

8 Likes

Yeah LJ next year and Sharp for that matter if they shore up the holes you pointed out have the potential to be the type of guards who get hot and could “Curry” a team in tournament for us.

I sure hope they take next step because the team will need it in order to win it all.

1 Like