Oh man, I just read that Robert Newhouse died

Such a great cougar is gone from us.

3 Likes

Ouch, that’s way too young. He was a fine
man from everything I’ve read about him. He
represented UH well. Rest In Peace , Robert.
Condolences to the family.

1 Like

He died 6 years ago guys

10 Likes

He was such an incredible player. We were at UH at the same time and with the Oilers NFL blackouts, the Cowboys were my team. Loved watching him, Riley, Elmo, Mullins, and the rest play in those years. Great memories from 69-73 and then following the Coogs through the first SWC years getting my MEd.

1 Like

I didn’t know.

Same here ; I missed that and didn’t recall it had happened :flushed:
I don’t recall ever hearing a tribute done back at
Robertson either, but I may have missed that game.

They called him the Gator, I remember the billboards “See Robert Run!”

This the 2nd time in a week that I have seen someone make this mistake? What triggered the belief that Robert died recently versus 6 years ago?

I loved his running for the Cowboys–breaking tackles and sidestepping…

1 Like

He had three trunks for thighs. He was a beast.

1 Like

It might have been CBY who said it, but somebody described him as a bowling ball with razor blades…

The fact that it was 6 years ago doesn’t really matter to me. Sometimes we need a reminder that someone has passed away. I admit that I had forgotten his way to soon death. It was a sad day then and it’s still saddens me today, that said it also rekindles all the great memories of him that I have when he romped up and down the field at the Astrodome!

We need Coach H to meet a bread man.

I use to love that also. Probalby the only time I could stand rooting them. When Wade coached them, I just didn’t hate them as much. :laughing:

Did we have another football player with the same last name? Why am I thinking this?

Not sure but I think his grandson or something went to baylor.

He was related to John Newhouse, a starting RB on the ‘79 championship team that defeated Nebraska. I think they were brothers but not sure.

To be clear, John Newhouse, who played for the University of Houston, never, ever pushed his son Marshall into football. Not even while Marshall’s cousin Robert Newhouse played 12 years for the Dallas Cowboys; not even with cousins Reggie Newhouse (Baylor) and Rod Newhouse (Rice) playing Texas college football.

But wouldn’t that mean that John, who played about seven years later than Robert, is Robert’s uncle? Unless maybe Robert and Marshall are 2nd cousins? I actually saw that article but wasn’t sure about it’s accuracy on the relationship. I would think this one makes more sense:

“In addition to his father [John], Newhouse’s late uncle, Robert Newhouse, played fullback in the league for 12 years.”

1 Like

I agree, the other one seemed odd, but perhaps it’s my memory lol. I remember Robert in the dorm, we were about the same height, but his thighs were as big as my waist.

1 Like