Old/Forgotten UH Traditions

Dance?? Bonfire???

Yes. We had 2 dances.

One was Thursday night on campus. In a large parking Lot. Near the end of it students went over to the bonfire(near where The Towers are located) and watched us light the bonfire. A great event.

On Friday night we had a formal Homecoming Dance downtown at The Rice Hotel. Large crowds.

Saturday night was the game. A caravan went from the campus to The Astrodome.

Great times! My future wife and I had our first date during Homecoming weekend.

5 Likes

Wow that sounds like so much fun. I wish we could do a dance like that campus wide, but all I know of are fraternity/sorority formals and semi-formals. And even if we wanted to do the bonfire I doubt UH would let it happen :frowning: I feel like it’s already hard enough getting students to be excited about Homecoming but now it’s even harder because of COVID.

Was it honors only the whole time? What was the motiviation behind Sigma ATM Sigma Epsilon

The easiest way to do new things is to wait until 2021, then ask The Fraternities and Sororities to sponsor an On Campus Homecoming Dance.
That way all of them will attend. include also the Dorms and nearby Housing Units. Attendance should be massive.

We had no fire issues with the Bonfire because The Houston Fire Dept. was there. With Fire Trucks. Mayor Turner is a UH Grad. Invite him as a special guest and he can make the Fire dept. show up.

Do all this on Friday night. Have the coaches and football players attend. Put them on the stage and experience 10,000 or more students yelling for them. Will fire them up. We used to never lose a Homecoming Game. Even when Top 10 Georgia was our opponent we beat them.

Have the Board of Regents approve this and have them on stage. Have Dr. Khator on stage. Have our students listen to who actually runs our University.

This all used to be perfectly normal

Where did it go?

7 Likes

Reading all that makes me coog-spirit drunk haha! I want so badly for these things to happen, and I definitely think it would take a lot of coordinating and planning way ahead of time. This is a great idea though, and I will do my best to see what we can do about it for next year!!!

4 Likes

https://digital.lib.uh.edu/collection/yearb

1 Like

El Cid

Go to The Dean of Students first. Get that person on Board.

My Fraternity, on purpose,chose The Dean as our “Faculty Advisor”. Had him attend some of our meetings.

Never had problems getting things done.

2 Likes

ΣΝ Bike Race — we used to race around the plaza in front of the UC & Ezekiel Cullen. Dozens of teams would compete. Individual races. Men’s, Women’s, & Mixed Relays.

Then a party afterwards at the ΣΝ House at 5018 Calhoun. One of our alums worked at Miller Brewing. We got free t-shirts and LOTS of beer. I served and spilled so much beer my sneakers reeked of sugar for weeks.

Drinking age was 18 so everyone was served.

1969 Bike Race 2

3 Likes

One more thing. Invite celebrities.

Jim Parsons, the Quaid brothers. They went to UH.

Mathew McConahey. Not a UH Grad but he spoke at the Graduation ceremonies last year. His Father played football for UH.

Tell The Dean that we want to make this a permanent “ big deal”.Tell him that The Alums gave you these ideas. That they will come back to the campus. Thus it will improve FUND RAISING.

You can do this! It used to be the norm. Not even new, just forgotten and neglected.

3 Likes

The bike race was great! A Spring event. Fun!

2 Likes

On your comment about how alums gave ideas.

Dunk signs, who’s he, and painting the statue of four lies were all SUPPORTED by and nearly FUNDED by alums.

I’m more than willing to help out as an alum myself and I will pull a full Jack Valenti and fly home during the weekend that it happens.

I’ve tried reaching out to notable celebrity alums, not that many responses, but did indeed get a response from a notable former faculty member (Dr. Simon Bott)

Maybe Mike from UHAA can help out. In terms of Matthew McConaughey, fan of him but he gives his heart to UT. We’ve yet to see a well known alum do something like that (he’s the minister of student culture there). He had input on the new Moody Center and it gave a lot of insight on how he wanted to connect the team, band, students, and fans all together for an atmosphere.

1 Like

Me too most of the time, Pat. Sometimes I yell Raw, Raw, Raw.

UH has done a very bad job the last few years of getting greek life involved in home coming. A lot of fraternities have dropped out of participating because it became a money pit for us. They money we had to pour in was not worth the entertainment value that was returned. Doing something like a bonfire might be able to get them involved. But i can’t see a dance working. You pay dues each semester to do formals & parties and get that experience. Much less pay money from your chapter bank account to sponsor something that other fraternities & other students who don’t pay dues participate in. That’s just my 2 cents

1 Like

I prefer Go Coogs Go over Rah Rah Rah. However, this used to be a really big deal - something that EVERYBODY yelled loudly and opponents took note! Now, hardly anyone yells when the band plays this. Disappointing!

It is just another victim of the times! “Cougars” eating up ANYTHING would always do so when the victim was RAW. “Go, Coogs, go” just does NOT describe that scene, but it is less offensive - to some. NOT ME - I don’t give a “flip” if the other side is offended!

5 Likes

The sheet music written by UH’s Dr. Bill Moffit read “Eat 'em up, Eat 'em up, Rah! Rah! Rah!”

I’m not sure where the “raw” came from as this was written long after the early days of the Roman Colosseum.

1 Like

I think that Greek Life is something of an anachronism.

As society and campus gets more diverse with folks from all walks of society the university has to look in various directions.

The name Frontiersmen itself is an anachronism.

Female Frontiersmen, Transgendered Frontiersman, Gender Non-Binary Frontiersman, Disabled Frontiersman that is the future of our university.

1 Like

The Raw came from fans of other schools making fun of the cheer by deliberately changing RAH RAH RAH to raaw raaw raaw.