Old/Forgotten UH Traditions

I do not suggest that our Fraternities and Sororities pay for the dance/bonfire. I merely say they volunteer to do some of the work.Build the bonfire. My fraternity,alone, built the bonfire. No money,just sweat.

UH collects activity fees from all students. Have The University change its budget to pay for more student activities on campus.

Those things emotionally bind you to our University. Helps you become an active Alum. A football and basketball season ticket holder. A Donor.

2 Likes

:confounded: :tired_face:

1 Like

Frankly with that bind thing, what made me an active alum is UH’s rising star status and the fact that time and time again it gives me an opportunity to get my degree (possibly (s)) there after I rode the flunk out and transfer train through several schools. Whether I had graduated from UT (left their program), and when I finish my Masters at the next school I go to (if not UH), I’m going to be a loud and proud Coog simply because UH prepared me for everything ahead and gave me the opportunity to start there.

Oh I completely agree. I actually just got off of a call with the rest of the Homecoming Court and President Khator (hoco court members get to personally meet her and talk to her during homecoming week) and I brought up your idea. She knew about the bonfire thing and was all for it! The biggest thing, she said, was that it was “attorneys, attorneys, attorneys.” I think she has a point in that things have definitely changed a bit since 30-40 years ago, and the university is tied up in red tape and having to get things approved and then re-approved, and so many papers and information has to change hands. I definitely still want to see what we can do, and make it as amazing as possible for next year if we can.

5 Likes

While I see your point, I do think that Greek Life on campus isn’t an entirely stereotypical thing. I know a lot of Greek Life is somewhat diverse, and although it isn’t as diverse as the rest of the school population, I think it’s still moving in the right direction as time goes on. As for the Frontiersmen, I know a few of them and they’re great guys. I don’t know anything about their selection process, but I think diversity there as well is also something that should be looked into.

Of course, at Delmar, if you didn’t get there by 5:30 before the freshman game, you didn’t get in !

1 Like

Tell Dr. Khator that UH could get a “Special Event” insurance policy and that a Coog Alum could write it. And pay for it.

Just ask.

2 Likes

Blame that on a pair of freshman called Big E and Duck!

2 Likes

Okay I’ll see if I can get another meeting with her, it might not be for awhile but I’ll try my best!

1 Like

it was not honors the whole time, in fact of the original few I was the only guy from honors. The brother of another member was honors.
The rest were HRM guys. The chronicle pic has one or two wearing read sweat shirt sleeves that the cut off on their heads, they used to call them toques …chefs hat

1 Like

That’s interesting! It sucked to see the org become only honors.

Whatever, motivation to make this organization though!

Nobody mentioned the Fight Night. I believe it was sponsored by Sigma Chi and believe there was some Golden Gloves auspices of some sort. I have no idea how GG work.

Another event was Hawaiian Tropics girl contest. I know in this day and age that is likely a non-starter.

1 Like

What’s all this about a Fight Night? Like an actual ring? Or something of the sort? And yes that Hawaiian Tropics contest most likely is a no-go lol.

1 Like

Fight night was a sanctioned amateur boxing competition. It was mostly greek, but there was also participation from ROTC and may be a few other organizations.

2 Likes

WHAT??? That sounds so awesome!! Do we know why it ever ended? And who was in charge/how did UH ever let that happen without getting in trouble for students’ health? Lol

1 Like

The Fight Night was a full blown boxing event. At what we then called the University Center. I think you call it the Student Center now.

Ring, Seating, tickets for seats, blood and bruises.

2 Likes

That sounds amazing. I’ll look into it and see if I can dig anything up!

1 Like

Did they have them at the Cougar Den (before UC), after it was the Rec Center

Is this what you’re talking about? It’s the most recent article I could find for “Fight Night” and it looks like it was discontinued pretty recently, within the last ten years.

1 Like

Yes. However in the 80s it was held on campus in the biggest room in the University Center (Student Center).

2 Likes