On this day 15 years ago

https://x.com/gocoogs1/status/2104926669504970885

Coogs got into a shootout and beat UTEP in El Paso

4 Likes

UTEP was always such a difficult game for us. I never liked when we played them.

2 Likes

Price was a good coach

1 Like

It is what is reminding me of this year’s team. Do we just have to out score our opponents. Our defense back then was bad. I remember that it seemed like all opponents always had their best offensive games against UH, even if they lost.

Despite our defensive woes… we are much better than during the no-defense Keenum years. I do think our offense is stacked much like back then. The scheme is much different with the run first approach but we have to studs on that side of the ball.

1 Like

The Keenum-era defense, especially in 2011 specifically, was a lot better than it gets credit for. They allowed a lot of points on an absolute basis, but that offense also played at an absolutely breakneck pace, which meant their opponents also had more plays to accumulate unadjusted stats. They were #38 both in yards per play and points per drive against FBS competition, which I’d describe generally as “okay.” On the other hand this year’s defense is down in the 80s on both metrics.

So far, we look a lot more like 2022 than 2011, which should be a little alarming.

1 Like