Only chance we sellout against USF

Texas Tech is in the BIG12 and the only big time FB team in the panhandle region of Texas. Texas Tech has a thread on one of their fan sites that is proposing that the next TV contract limit 11:00 am games to 3 in a season. Fans are complaining about early Sept. games and the heat, etc.

Texas Tech could not sell out the UH and WVU games and their fans only expect the OU and UT games to sell out.

Arizona has not sold out a home game this season. The USC game saw thousands of fans leave at half time because the score was 17-0.
Arizona lost 24-17 in a less than half full home stadium.

This is not just if you belong to a P5 conference or even if you are winning. TTech is still in the hunt to win a wide open BIG12. It is also about culture.

The media/advertisers wanting product at this time on this day and the fans of this product/school can go to … The conference president, the schools AD’s and Presidents look at the money on the table next to the bed and asks…Now what was it you wanted me to do…

So, fewer fans attending games where sell outs were common place before. Gosh, you mean they have minds and think without being led by the nose like Aggies.

If you expect college games to sell out in Houston, TX you’re expecting too much.

I’d be happy if the people who show up actually stay for the duration. I hate seeing 20K turn into 10K.

I think I saw you mention this before, after the Tulsa game. While it’s true that a good 50 to 75% of the students left by the end of the third quarter, you are way off about the rest of the crowd. People started leaving after we took a 41-26 lead. Please stop framing it like fans were leaving while the game was still in question out of disappointment. Thursday night, want to beat the traffic because they have to get up a 6am to get ready for work and the kids ready for school. It’s not just a UH thing.

1 Like

Agree to disagree. They left when we were down 26-17 3rd quarter.

The score was 23-17 at the end of the third quarter.

This thread is why building the season ticket holder base should be goals #1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 at UH.

They should never have gotten rid of the family 4-pack option nor increased prices a dime before we had reached ‘sold out’ on season tickets which would be North of 30K seats sold. We sit probably like 15-16k I imagine. (anyone have a number?) There should be season ticket sales pushes starting right after the bowl game is announced and continue all off season. Do whatever it takes…get them sold. Get people invested and they’re much more likely to continue to support the program win or lose…beats counting on 13 win seasons.

5 Likes

Agree. I even attribute some of the students leaving due to morning classes. Because of all the tv timeouts etc the game was running longer than usual. When it was evident that we were going to win I headed out with about 4 minutes left in the game. I get up at 3:30am for work and I live 36 miles from the stadium. But if the game had of come down to the last play like the last home game against Tulsa I would have stayed to the very end.

Agree totally about the family 4 pack. I knew a lot of casual fans that came to games because of that.

1 Like

Frankly the players don’t care if the fans paid $10 or $100 to fill the stadium. It’s pretty much common sense as well, that fans that get cheap tickets, still buy food and beverages at the game. So it completely makes sense to lower season ticket prices to a point where season ticket holders and students are 3/4ths of the crowd at every game.

Here is the biggest kick in the butt to the average fan not making $100k a year, is when they support the program by buying tickets and know they just paid $30 to $50 to watch UH play TSU, they later get to see casual fans buying tickets for $10 two days before a game when they know it’s going to be sunny, the Coogs are leading their division and are about to play a ranked opponent.

Make the best deals with the current season ticket holders and the next best deals with former season ticket holders. Give an incentive for season ticket holders to expand from 2 to 4 tickets and so on. Then make a program where those season ticket holders can log onto the UH website and with one click, donate the tickets they aren’t using back to the ticket office to be sold again.

6 Likes

It’s a pro town, always has been and always will be, that is a fact. That being said I really tip my hat to the young generation of Coog fans. IMO the future is bright as they go forward on their life journey. In the not-to-distant future when they have the spouse and 2 kids thats 4 season tixs, multiply that many times over and bingo ! Getting in a better conference is a must though as 99.9% of Houstonians couldn’t name 2 teams in the AAC or even care.

2 Likes

LOL. Whatever. That’s even worse as that is when they left.

No. It just makes it even sillier. Because you are saying that a majority of the people that went through the trouble to drive to the game had a mass exodus while there was still only a one score difference with over a quarter to go.

The solution to sellouts is to maximize season tickets…
They really need to stop undercutting the season ticket holders with these 4 for $100 deals. I rarely use all 4 of my seats due to scheduling conflicts, kid events, etc. So I’m strongly considering reducing to 2 seats and then buying the “deals” on game week on the off chance I actually need 4 seats.

I’ll actually come out ahead that way.

2 Likes

Were you even there? I didn’t say mass exodus. Actually I didn’t even want to have a stupid argument because I was there and lived it. You said people left when the game was in hand which is completely false.

You said 80% of the crowd missed the comeback. If you said 80% of the stadium was empty for the comeback, then you would have a case since the stadium started 40% empty and 80% of the students left before the comeback.

Your ridiculous statement is that there was 5k left out of the 25k crowd to watch us kick the go ahead field goal. I was there and that is complete bullshit. Not just an exaggeration but complete bullshit. There was at least 3 times that much, 15k in the crowd cheering on and giving high fives when we expanded the lead 34 to 26.

Is there anyone else that was at the game that believes that only 5k people were in the crowd when we kicked the go ahead field goal. Anyone???

1 Like

The only large exit of fans our group noticed were the students bailing out. As far as the remainder of the crowd I did not see a large exit, but then again our group stays in tune to watching the action on the field and cheering on our Coogs.

1 Like

Geez. This is so childish. I’m a freaking moron for engaging in a conversation I knew would go nowhere. I estimated on this thread 20K reduced to 10K. That was by the end of the third. If you disagree, so be it. I was there, and that’s what I saw. Not sure why you are hell bent on picking a fight with me.

The point remains the same, we need the students and fans to stay through the game.

1 Like

It was your second time dogging on fans that actually went to the game. Don’t forget this “Yep. And 20% of the crowd remained for an amazing 4th.”

Why pick on people that actually showed up and do it twice? They shouldn’t be the target of angst. Our attendance sucks. To me that means even more the people that actually show up don’t need to be demonised. Especially for something they didn’t do.

1 Like

We used to buy 3 family packs (12 tickets) with the price change we bought 2-4 packs. We would give our extras to people who we hoped to entice to attend more games.
IMO there are a multitude of issues causing non-sell outs: quality of opponents, increased TV coverage, game time cutting down the game day experience and traditions, other entertainment options, team quality occasionally, promotion and marketing, ticket pricing philosophy, and student engagement. If in charge, I’d focus on seats in “the seats”. Provide a minimum of 10-15k student tickets. Students are currently underwriting a significant portion of stadium funding. Reward them and get future season tickets holders butts in the process. (IIRC many years ago my student athletic contribution gave me a ticket to games in the Dome.) Season ticket family four packs and $5-10 max upper deck seats for every game. The increased revenue from auxiliary beverage/food/ merchandise sales will help defray losses. When the stadium is full or near capacity every game it becomes an “entity” or a happening that can help feed itself. Changing ticket prices during the season doesn’t warm many early buyers heart’s. Fill it up! And, let’s see what happens. Full stadiums will also help in recruiting and local coverage. Heck send every high in the area 10-20 game tickets throughout the season to contribute to high school students who are interested in attending the UH. Distribute through the HS band, athletics, counselors, fine arts, AP program, etc to help us recruit top notch students to the campus. Having been on a HS for years I could have used them to sell the UH campus and programs to my top students.

3 Likes