OT: 16 Floors Student Apartments Coming Soon - A look at housing at UH

This is an off campus facility, why would someone bother buying an overpriced meal plan that you have to go back to campus to use? Silly. Of course they’ll need a kitchen unless there’s a cafeteria in the building like a dorm does.

Typically these off campus dorms have their own cafe with meal plans

1 Like

The Haven in San Marcos doesn’t have its own cafeteria but it’s 1.2 miles from campus and not across the street like ours.

Ditto for The Haven near Sam Houston State. Less than 1 mile away and kitchens in every unit.

The Callaway at UT is a massive, luxury complex and includes a full service dining hall. Expensive place from what I hear and very Greek focused. Ours is pretty far from Greek housing, right?

1 Like

Maybe , just maybe, because they are in school during the day ? Utilizing Rec center, library , student life activities, and the convenience factor, etc ? Unless perhaps your child is studying to be a chef in HRM and will make ample use of a kitchen
and be preparing 2-3 gourmet meals / day.

As to overpriced , I have no clue. But , if as other posters have noted, this type of private housing has meal plans options as well, there must be such a demand.

1 Like

So might as well be a commuter at that point. Stay on campus all day and go home just to sleep? Why pay sky high rent at that point?

I don’t understand always tearing buildings down. If you go to some of the schools in Ivy League their buildings stand for more than 100 years.

Need some tradition.

2 Likes

The Haven at Elgin is student housing built by a private company not related to UH but the school is benefiting from it indirectly without spending a dime. That private company tore down a church and some dilapidated houses.

2 Likes

Here is an article from 2018 about luxury private student dorms that
were underperforming at Aggie and OU. Reportedly $1000/mo and
Initially only being 1/2 occupied.

https://theeagle.com/news/a_m/texas-a-m-oklahoma-luxury-dorms-stumble-amid-sticker-shock/article_28966bf7-0f61-5311-bcae-546fb8a6d8ff.html

Not sure of status 3 years later, but just offering this as counter point of view. The line about
these nonprofit entities that develop these projects was interesting to me. I heve no idea if the
UH projects are like this or not.

The projects are developed and managed by private companies.

Few restrictions apply to tax-exempt financings by non-profit entities, said Mark Scott, a former head of the Internal Revenue Service’s Tax-Exempt Bond Office. “The real question is why an entity that builds luxury apartments is entitled to non-profit status,” he said.

Score one for the heathens!!! :joy:

2 Likes

I attended UH from 2005-2008. I lived in both Cougar Place and the Moody Towers. My my, how the quality housing options on and around campus have exploded in the last 10-15 years…I also attended many games in the old Hofheinz Pavilion and Robertson Stadium. We did have the nice campus rec center and renovated library back then though. Let’s get our football team back up to par - no reason we shouldn’t be competing for AAC championships every year.

5 Likes

Not everyone is from Houston.

1 Like

Houston isn’t a podunk small town either. Lots of cheaper/nicer places to rent all over town, you know, if you don’t want to take out a giant student loan and save some money instead.

1 Like

Sure, but most of those options vanish when you take into account that a lot of 18-22 year olds don’t own cars.

Also, commuting sucks and should be avoided when possible.

3 Likes

What country are you from?

1 Like

A coworker’s son went to ut Austin and gave up his car. Said he
didnt use it and was a hassle with parking. Just needed a bicycle.
So at the time I was shocked by that revelation. Couldnt fathom an
18 year giving up a car !!!

It would be cool if more UH students could be immersed in the university experience.
With the housing options they have , I’m jealous. I’m not completely sold on the luxury
housing stuff happening today.

How these things are run as nonprofit entities really blows me away.

3 Likes

I guess he didn’t date much but I guess the city bus will help take care of that situation, kinda.

Privately owned student housing of 649 beds, currently under construction on Elgin across from UH track.

2 Likes

There are 10k beds on campus already. Several thousand more in apartments. 20 percent of our student body lives on campus in on campus housing. So quite a bit already.

3 Likes

Callaway is literally a dorm. Over glorified dorm.

1 Like

This is all good to know. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes