OT: 16 Floors Student Apartments Coming Soon - A look at housing at UH

When I was an undergrad living on campus a few years ago, it was a fight to get a spot anywhere. With more options now, I bet these get gobbled up fast too.

1 Like

10k spots. It’s easy to get but taken up by returning students.

Still available though

I used to be on top of this stuff but have really been slipping.

1. Didn’t know the apartments on OST had been renamed The Proper.
  2. Didn’t know Auden Houston
  3. Didn’t know about The Scott Residence coming soon.

Thinking the Moody Towers demolition and rebuild will be soon.

1 Like

Yeh that’s happening after this year likely.

Interesting enough, someone can rent this entire complex and work on it. Probably a co-op or student living? 13.5k, charge 1k per bedroom or something, boom?

UT has a bunch of Co-Ops, this might be a UH version of it.

Coming from the future to say we wont be competing for aac championships anymore in 2 years, because we will be getting a BIG upgrade.

Just in time for the Big 12. We will have our Cullen project completed along with more on campus housing with the Haven @ Elgin and the Scott Residence.

By this summer the Medical Facility, Law Building and Hilton improvements will be complete.

5 Likes

To me a dorm is better than an apartment complex because of the sense of school spirit and social connection to other students. Resident advisers and dorm activities foster that. Add a cafeteria and it’s even better.

People I know in Austin’s apartment city west end don’t know their neighbors and nothing happens in their complexes to change that since the managers just make sure everyone pays their rent.

My son in a dorm at UNT knows everyone on his floor through activities set up by the dorm.

1 Like

There could be a Coog’s spirit committee in each of these private student housing units to foster activities and get everyone in the building to the football/basketball games.

This is probably something they could have brought up in that big committee meeting talked about on one of these threads.
:thinking:

For it to work long term the university would have to include it as part of the student life (or whatever UH version is) department but would having offices in a non UH owned building be allowed?

Otherwise I could see the apartment complex management doing it for a couple of years until the complex is sold and the new owners just want to maximize profits.

Well, Callaway is just a huge dorm that’s off campus and full of Greeks. People aren’t rushing to be in on-campus housing at UT like they do at A&M. People put down deposits at Callaway a year in advance and before being admitted.

At first, The Haven will fill up with whoever is willing to book it. Pricing will probably be comparable to the dorms. They got a BBB rating which is solid for some of the new apartment construction. Some at A&M and OU have recently defaulted. I imagine they will work with UH to get it listed for new students. Guefen has a similar project they completed a few years ago in Huntsville.

What is the Cullen project?

Street redo with bike lanes and pedestrian sidewalks Wheeler yo McGregor is complete and now they are working 45 to Wheeler.

1 Like

They don’t build them like they used to . . . . .

How many dorms will we have after this is built?

12 or 13k total for on campus and nearby?

I have the numbers further up this thread which included Haven @ Elgin previously.

5 Likes

Great post !
Thank you !
Go Coogs !

1 Like

Thanks for info.

1 Like

What’s great is we now have over 4K just around campus in addition to the 8k on campus. In the 90s we had just 4 k and that was it. We’re growing!

4 Likes

That was my recollection as well.