OT: College of Technology merges into College of Engineering

Creates 3rd largest Engineering School in Texas.

https://twitter.com/UHpres/status/1628851505368338433

6 Likes

Going to be a lot of work readjusting some of the stuff. I’m on the train of CompSci to Cullen, since some want that.

1 Like

I am really glad to see this. I got my BS in Civil Tech and Construction Management. There was a lot of overlap between the civil engineering civil technology classes in the freshmen, sophomore, and some junior year. In junior year, construction management degree moved away from civil engineering and more into overall jobsite, estimating, management related courses. New home building was what I wanted to be in since I was 13.

2 Likes

well there goes me ever finishing my degree

3 Likes

Did they move the campus to Sugarland? So now it’s back on the main campus?

I think CS and Computer Engineering (and maybe EE) need to be their own school; CS is clearly a branch of math and would otherwise belong in NSM, and Computer Engineering is clearly a branch of engineering and would otherwise belong in Cullen, but the two should be together. I know some schools handle it that way, and it seems sensical enough to me.

At my undergrad college, Computer Science was a part of the Engineering School, HOWEVER, a BA in Computer Science from the College of Arts and Sciences (in addition to a BS in Computer Science and a BS in Computer Engineering from the Engineering School) was offered.

1 Like

This is dumb idea. Trying to circumvent rankings by putting technology in the school of engineering which has better US news ranking.

Perception wise, your engineering degrees will take a hit. Employers will consider UH engineering a technology school.

1 Like

I’m skeptical of that; I can’t think of any other universities that have separate technology schools, and the handful that I looked up to confirm that don’t have them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a first step toward sunsetting the technology degrees and having the more “traditional” engineering departments swallow them.

1 Like

Sooooooooo, you’re saying I’m an engineer?!?

3 Likes

It actually can make a lot of sense. Industrial Distribution was in CoT. The nearly identical program at A&M is in the College of Engineering.

A&M Engineering department certainly doesn’t suffer from it, and those tech degrees (ID requires a single semester of calculus, for crying out loud. For an engineering degree!) get a boost.

2 Likes

I don’t think this was about gaming USNWR. I think the COT as it is (or at least as it was when I was there) mostly represents things she wants to grow beyond. And almost anything COT could do to grow with her vision for the university would have been to make it more like the College of Engineering.

This is just finishing the job that the move to Sugar Land started. Or at least continuing it. For better or worse, I think it’s part of a de-emphasis of the shovel-ready tracks that attract part-time and non-traditional students and making the CIS student profile look more like the computer science student profile.

2 Likes

I think when we discussed this in the satellite, the problem was they were moving them to UH Sugar Land, away from the main campus. It would be hard to take core classes like that and you miss out on the campus experience. So does this take them back?

1 Like

Not really sure about that.

As long as those Technology majors remain off campus, a large percentage of the undergrad student body will effectively remain disengaged from campus life.

2 Likes

The university has mismanaged the college for decades.

Here’s something that’s a bit strange to me though.

Will THIS department also become a part of the Engineering school, or will it be moved to Business or some such?

Seems like a poor fit with Engineering.

1 Like

I wonder what the new degree plan will look like. Will students have to take University Physics instead of the general physics? How about the old technology degree electives? I remember those well.

Isn’t this Just like the Purdue model with Polytechnic and College of Engineering? They have great programs in Polytechnic like Cybersecurity but computer science is in Engineering. Actually Polytechnic is separate nvmd. Don’t think they can attend engineering career fairs.

1 Like

I’m sure that three of the COT’s four departments would blend nicely with Engineering.

Not so sure about the 4th though.

It should probably be moved over to Bauer.

Consumer Sciences has to be Business. Isn’t that just marketing?