OT: Current Coog golfer headed to the Masters

Santiago De la Fuente won the Latin America Amateur today which gives him a exemption into The Masters

Good Luck Santi!!

Go Coogs

38 Likes

Wow. That’s awesome. He also gets into the US & British Opens.

2 Likes

Seriously we ARE the BLUEST Blue Blood Golf Program in the entire P5.

Why are we struggling?

5 Likes

Actually four. Fuente, Fred Couples, Jim Nance, PxP, and Billy Ray Brown, Course Reporter.

Jim Nance was a Football player in the NFL died about 30 years ago.

Jim Nantz is a Coog. Golfer, Sportscasting Legend and otherwise great Coog.

3 Likes

I feel so stupid. I misspelled a legendary UH Alumni. Shame on me!

2 Likes

We haven’t been relevant for decades but we’re gradually clawing our way back. The b12 will help.

2 Likes

Need some of that UH golf apparel

3 Likes

Santi !!!

1 Like

Boston Patriots RB, watched him as a kid.
Original AFL Team.

sorry, texas, ou and ok state own this area in golf past 10 years. hopefully the coogs and ok state can take the b12 banner to the top but the sec going to make that tough with ut, ou and bama

1 Like

Yes…but we easily have more National Championships than anyone else in the P5…not even close.

Historically, we are the Alabama of College Golf and we can still add to that

1 Like

Santiago made the cut at The Mexico Open and is currently tied for 9th at 6 under, 5 back of the lead. Only amateur to make the cut. I’ll be watching today and tomorrow.

Nice write up on Santiago.

2 Likes

Need to get facilities up to date to improve recruiting. Until then nothing will change.

1 Like

What are they lacking over at GCOH? It’s a shame they don’t have anything closer to campus.

Good pub

Santiago sitting at +1 thru 7. Being paired with two time winner Olazabal is really cool.

Finished +4 on the round. Back nine killed him bogeying 6 of the the final 8 holes. A couple good things to note are no doubles and one eagle.

Playing in the Masters. First round 76.

de la Fuente was featured prominently in a CBS pre-Masters show today re: Latin American up-and-coming golfers. I missed some of it but my wife said the UH program got some airtime.
He missed the cut by 4 I think