OT: Fuhgeddabaddit

Ex-Vanderbilt QB Mo Hasan makes wild claim mob tried to fix SEC games (tennessean.com)

7 Likes

Sounds like total bull.

Had to be the Gambino Family…lol

Isnt there a long history of this in college basketball in particular? it would be harder to do in Football, but not unfathomable.

1 Like

Nothing would surprise me, if true. Sports and gambling since shoeless Joe Jackson days been unfortunate companions.

Absolutely it is plausable, but his story just seems like it is not.

You’re telling me that a backup QB is at Jason Aldeen’s bar (which I believe is very corporate), an Italian mobster comes up to him, tells him other SEC guys are making 100’s of thousangs fixing games, even names some of the players and programs, and makes him an offer that I guess he refused. I just can’t believe that.

I could see offers being made but I would expect it to be for starters, someone they have already developed a relationship with (maybe slowly) or better yet already compromised or is known to be desperate. Even then, they wouldn’t talk so openly about all the other deals they made with other players. I mean, if this alleged mobster is that loose lipped, he’s either full of it or extremely vulnerable to be taken down. I also can’t see that discussion taking place at Jason Aldeen’s place, maybe a first introduction but really?

Or have I watched too many mob movies?

(I also wonder if those figures are realistic, like is that for a season or one game or what? I would have expected maybe 5 figures)

I’m hearing it was the Fratelli Crime Family…

Fratelli

5 Likes

IMO, the SEC rigs it’s own games. Especially the conference championship in football. Having the best team in the SEC lose the championship so they can get two teams in the playoffs. It bit them in the butt last season.

Same with the Big 12.

That UT/UH was not the first time I saw a very controversial, obviously wrong call, go UT’s way.

Both the conference and ESPN (with their fake TV channel investment) wanted UT to go as far as possible.

3 Likes

Well UT will be the SEC’s problem now.

1 Like

I don’t know man. The mob has repeatedly interfered in sporting events. There was a huge scandal involving CCNY in the 1950’s; Boston College in the 1980’s, and I think Providence college too. This is only what we know about, which means it is probably 10 to 20 times worse.

Also, don’t forget Tim Donaghy’s claims about the NBA in the late 1990’s early 2000’s. I still believe Stern knew about all that.

1 Like

It would have to rig just about every sport not named football. Really outside of the QBs and the refs who has the guaranteed chance to win or lose a game?

Running backs can fumble.
Wide receivers can drop passes.
Offensive lineman can whiff on blocking.
Defenses can miss tackles.

There are many ways to throw a football game.

College basketball is the easiest game to fix.

College baseball would be super easy to fix.

My skepticism wasn’t about the capability of organized crime. My skepticism was on the details of his story. Also on how a backup QB would be able to help throw a game from the bench.

2 Likes

Fair point.

It was much more than that.
Facts:
Video ref that decided the outcome of the game went to mad cows u located in Austin.
That in itself should have led the ncaa to either have the game replayed or forfeited.
This was the equivalent of having a bama video ref decide the outcome of a game against Georgia. How many would have stood for that?

2 Likes

You’re preaching to the choir.

Yes and so what?

So, nothing.