OT: Miami Player Demands NIL Raise

That is the minimum. But should there be caps for a kid that works as a summer intern? What about a baartender?

meanwhile in Football…

(free, no paywall)

According to ESPN, Pittsburgh star wideout Jordan Addison, the Biletnikoff Award winner as the country’s top wide receiver in 2021, is contemplating entering his name into the transfer portal before Sunday’s May 1 deadline… Pittsburgh coach Pat Narduzzi called USC’s Lincoln Riley multiple times about the issue on Friday, as Pitt believes tampering occurred, ESPN reported.

So now we’re close to the point where the schools start suing one another.

Cue Sweeney and Huggins and Saban: who will tell us we caused all this by preventing the top tier programs from hoarding all the revenue.

Then cue the sports media who will agree with that assertion because its fun being on the bully’s side.

Then cue the vloggers who post over and over about why this was inevitable. And why Ohio State and USC will be in opposing divisions of the same conference. And we’ll click on all of them. And ESPN will buy the click data and confirm they need to perpetuate this.

(I just figured out we are living in a computer simulation. And its run by Deloss Dodds and Tom Herman.)

3 Likes

No different than asking your boss for a raise, why the rules any different for him then anyone else participating in our free enterprise system?

Yep, when you bring in a new team member at a much higher (publicly known) pay rate, you’re going to have to keep the peace.

1 Like

Get your popcorn.

2 Likes

The business offering an athlete an advertising package is not their employer. Nor is it their education provider. If someone wants out of a contract there are steps to doing that. Publicly embarrassing the business in the process is one way out of the contract but it comes with some pain. They aren’t being compensated for work. They are being compensated for the sole purpose of making that company look good.

Pandora.

No he was compensated because he was considered a highly touted FB player. Real shame or truth more like it, the billionaire basically just came and said he was paying him to be at the U. One thing he didn’t equivocate about why he was playing for the U. At least he was straight about the whole situation. Unlike SE other Schools who merely mouth about it and doing the same thing

…Any further statements will be made by me personally.

LOL…and we’re supposed to believe that he wrote that “clarification” post all by his lonesome?

4 Likes

This is all a big nothing. The money is eventually going to run out. A couple of hundred boosters around the country have this kind of money to blow.

Eventually it will stop. There is not going to be a bang for a buck.

Most of these boosters are otherwise fairly bright business men and women, they will not be taken advantage of after the joy wears off by an 18 year old or his mealy-mouthed agent.

3 Likes

He has also been very candid about the fact that it was a wrong and a mistake that he regrets. So, in short, he may not have always been above it, but I believe that now he is.

Nothing for nothing, but I would pay top dollar, pay per view even, to see orangutans play hockey.

1 Like

You wanna be partners. You can be the new Vince McMahon. I’ll be the new Don King. And our league can have unlimited NIL deals and transfers.

I understand where you’re coming from, but you have to look at it from the kid’s perspective.

If you are a highly ranked recruit, you get offered a scholarship in exchange for your athletic talent. That’s the first pillar.

The second pillar is the fact that you are generating massive amounts of revenue for the university in which you aren’t getting a slice of that. That’s why the NIL has become such a significant factor in college sports

It goes without saying that Tang will be your primary sponsor, right?

2 Likes

What year do you see the money running out? Lol. There will always be someone willing to put their money out there.

Personally I don’t think you can pull off that hair style Funk.

2 Likes

Years ago the NBA changed the rules that allowed kids to jump to the league straight out of high school. The rule changed since a lot of players flamed out after being hyped as the next big thing. I see this very same issue popping up over NILs. Just as NBA owners didn’t want to overpay unproven players, a lot of college kids won’t live up to the expectations after getting large NIL deals

Speaking of… Im sure most of the top kids in the portal already gave oral commitments to schools. All theyre waiting at is going thru the NBA evaluation bs.

1 Like