OT: NFL playoffs

I agree with you on the regular season tie. Comes the post season each team should have a chance from a regular kick off not the college OT.

What’s the scoop on Big Ed? Are the Bills happy with him? I saw a sack against the Chiefs but he hasn’t been as dominating as I thought he would be.

Ties are stupid if anything the NFL needs to eliminate all ties. The overtime rules can follow college with some slight alterations.

Here is my pitch for a new NFL overtime. Make each overtime only 5 minutes long. Instead of starting on the opponents 20 you start wherever the kickoff goes just like in regulation. So if team A wins the toss and team B downs the kickoff at Team A’s 1 yard line that is where team A will start. If the defense of team B produces a play that causes team A to have a safety, overtime ends and team B wins the game.

If team A scores a TD, team B has to score a TD on their possession. If team A goes and for a 2 point conversion, and is successful, then team B also has to go for a 2 point conversion on their possession upon a successful TD. If team B is unable to score a TD with whatever time remains after team A’s possession, team B loses. If both teams successfully match their scores on their possessions you move onto the next OT and a new 5 minutes regardless if there was time remaining in the current OT. Same thing if neither team score by the time the 5 minutes ends.

Each team will also get 3 timeouts and there will be a timeout for a 2 minute warning.

Also any blocked extra points for a score or 2 point conversions returned for a score by the defense will be worth 2 points. So if team A scores a TD but their extra point or 2 point conversion is returned for a score by team B’s defense, then team B only has to score a TD on their possession to win.

Lastly each team will only get 1 possession per OT. So if team A only went for the extra point on their possession, than team B can choose to go for a 2 point conversion to either win or lose the game. This also means that if team A has a turnover on their possession then team B gets the ball where they recovered the turnover with either a field goal or TD being an automatic winner. If the opposite happens then the OT period ends and a new one starts.

These players get paid millions of dollars to play a child’s game. They have no right to complain about a game being to long, you play until you win end if story.

Having ties in the NFL is part of the reason I can’t take it as seriously compared to other American pro sports. And before you mention soccer I hate soccer specially for that reason.

Personally, I think they should eliminate the extra point kick and make teams go for 2 after every touchdown. It will make the game more interesting/exciting and eliminate most overtimes.

1 Like

There’s one problem with your proposed changes, the NFLPA. OT was 15 minutes, but it was cut down to 10 minutes because of the NFLPA. I don’t see endless OT’s just to decide a winner and the NFLPA won’t go for it.

I like the finality of sudden death. When it’s sudden death, you want the ball first. My feeling has always been if you can’t stop the other team from marching down the field in OT you don’t deserve to win.

If you want to give each team a possession in OT, fine. I can live with it. But after the first two possessions, the rule is now it goes to sudden death. I like that.

Sudden death is a joke though. It’s a laughable excuse by the players not wanting to have to play a longer game that we pay them millions of dollars for. The players ultimately work for the fans. And the NLFPA needs to be pressured to do whats best for the sport.

Ultimately we the fans need to take a stand and say we wont accept anything that doesn’t result in a victor. If the players don’t want endless overtime win the dang game.

Sudden death also removes alot of strategy. Not having sudden death actually forces teams to consider wether they want the ball first or second.

That could be done. It would also lower the possibility of there being multiple OT’s.

This weekend’s playoff games were among the best ever.

Every single game decided on a last play FG or OT.

Next Sunday the big underdog is Cincy @ KC. Dare take The Bengals and the 7 points? Last Saturday Burrow took 9 sacks and still won.

Exciting!

The Bills are now seeing what he can do. This is the message out of their franchise. They are very happy that he is finally playing at this level. I fully expect that he is going to sign a big contract for them. I still think he can be utilized in more packages. This is a “real” beginning for ED. I am very happy for him. I am not so happy how the overall defense was “managed” during this game. They were indeed “gassed” by the third quarter. The Bills defense showed its limits. But again we are writing about Mahomes. His QB intellect is off the charts.

The way the Bills, Chiefs game ended ruined it for me. I just wanted good football and that ending was joke.

Let the kickers decide it. Start at the 35 and as both kickers succeed, increase the distance by 5 yards until someone misses. I prefer this drama over what I experienced in the Buffalo game. At least both teams get equal chances

1 Like

You make an interesting point. How many playoff games were decided this past weekend on special teams? All of them I believe. The Packers had problems with their special team all season. It cost them a real shot at a Super bowl. This is how close these franchises are.

What if both kickers miss?

Keep kicking until there is a winner.

Ya but if you also have to move it back on each successful kick eventually you will get to a point where it’s too far for either kicker to make it.

How about a coin flip, first 16 out of 30 flips . . . . .

1 Like