OT: Some enrollment and admissions data for Fall 2023

Acceptance rate was 70%, the highest it was since 2010 (71%). This also correlates with a higher amount of applications (record-breaking).

The amount of students living outside of Harris County outnumbers the students living in it (51% to 49%). This is the first time this has occurred under Khator’s Tenure.

All signs point to people not here wanting to come here or considering it a target school over a safety, where they would shoot for UT/TAMU and stay within their city if they didn’t get in (UTEP, UTD, TAMU-CC, etc).

Don’t give the traditional students bologna talk right now. Campus is pretty frustrated with the lack of student life things going on, or the fact that it’s only held from 10am-2pm.

4 Likes

Does it show the number of applications ? If it hasn’t fallen off then that would be a data point to disprove athletics being an attractor since football has sucked

30,327 applications (compare 29,783 the year before)
21,087 admissions (compare 19,728 the year before)
5,652 full time first year freshmen enrolled (compare 5,555 the year before)

1230 50th percentile SAT (1240 the year before)
25 50th percentile ACT (26 the year before)
31% graduated Top 10% in HS (34% the year before)

Class of 2017 6-year grad rate = 65% vs 63% for class of 2016.

4 Likes

I feel like the increase in applications could be related to our big bump in US News college rankings.

I think the jump in applications is also due to big12 membership among the school getting better academically. The yr we where admitted there was a big jump in applicants. It helped our brand.

3 Likes

This points to opening the doors to get more headcount $$.

The test data could mean a lot of things, since that world is changing. Taken with the other stats, though, it points to lower admission standards.

Not great. 1.8% increase in applications is okay. Acceptance rate slightly going up points to need for more students for revenue purposes, bond ratings, etc.

I don’t like that entrance stats dropped a slight bit while enrollment yield dropped to 26.8 percent from 28.2 percent in the fall of 2022.

Is UH test optional? Also, did UH get an application bump in fall 2022 after getting into the Big 12? If not, it seems like there’s been minimal lift from Big 12 sports, unlike TCU after its Rose Bowl and then Big 12 inclusion.

1 Like

UH is fully test optional. Bauer, Cullen, KGCMA, and Hines are the difficult ones to get into.

CS, Psych, and Bio/Biochem are the high enrollment majors with very very low entrance requirements. CS has 2300 students in it total, up from like 2000 last year. Getting tight. Could be 3k by the time I defend my thesis.

CS being easier than CIS and MIS for admission is an absolute shame, without trying to major shame them.

The campus life side is still lacking and ESPN (and by some cases, UH) doesn’t do a ‘good job of showing the student seciton’ like other schools do. This could be an enrollment indicator. The 2023 suicides didn’t do well for the Uni.

Like I said, UH is a Big 12 athletics program, but not a Big 12 school.

2 Likes

Maybe the school is working toward acceptance in the SEC . . . . .

1 Like

As long as 6-year grad rates continue to climb, I’m OK with more headcount via slightly lower standards.

Class of 2016 was 63%. Class of 2017 was 65%. We really need to be at 70% at a minimum. Other P4 peers in this part of the nation and the Big 12:

Texas 88%
TCU 86%
A&M 84%
SMU 83%
Baylor 81%
BYU 79%
Oklahoma 76%
Iowa St 75%
Colorado 75%
UCF 75%
Cincinnati 72%
LSU 70%