OT: This is what winning does

I love it when people try to put words in other people’s mouths and imply they are saying something they didn’t say or mean.

1 Like

Mike Higdon

“I love it when people try to put words in other people’s mouths and imply they are saying something they didn’t say or mean.”

Yet you wrote something explicitly that I assume you do not mean.

@GrayTheCoog has been very clear on what they’ve said.

1 Like

I never heard that. Not once. Thought never even crossed my mind.

lol it’s literally been said on this very board.

1 Like

Poor baby so mistreated…that’s not what he’s saying…GTFO…bugger off!

In regards to number 1. Sorry, my kids come before UH football.

2 Likes

I don’t think it is about the size of the arena in away. 7100 vs 40000 comparison is all hogwash. It is about generating interest, which winning does. When we were pulling 40k at TDECU in 2015/2016, the hof was still drawing flies. if 8k is so easily to fill then why didn’t we do it 25+ years?? Again, its a big deal to draw sellouts against a no-name opponent on a tuesday night. I love the coogs, but I am not interested in the football team right now or the forseeable future.

4 Likes

Hogwash until you do the math

I can do math fairly well, made it pretty far in life by being able to do math. Doesn’t change my point

But I didn’t put words in anyone else’s mouth. I stand on my statement, it is clear sarcasm.

Just wait until we lose the first game… :smile:

1 Like

The picture proves you have to have sustained success to fill a stadium in Houston. CTH did not have great crowds consistently at TDECU on his way to the Peach Bowl but only after the Peach Bowl victory. CKSumlin did not have great crowds at The Rob until the team was undefeated for the season and Game Day came to town. CKSampson had to go 143-30 over 5 seasons and 4 consecutive NCAA appearances (would be 5 without COVID) including 1 Final 4, 1 Elite 8 and 1 Sweet 16 (and a miracle shot to prevent that being 2) before crowds became like they are this season.

It’s the same with the Astros, Rockets, and Texans. Win at a high level and they will come.

Anyway…having good attendance is not good enough. Fans have to perform to the highest level while at the game or it doesn’t matter. :wink:

2 Likes

For all of you saying “picture that crowd in TDECU” how about “picture us playing Tulsa in football last Tuesday.

I do agree with the post about general winning with consistency. General fans want to think there is a reasonable chance for winning and a winning yr. We keep going up and down like a roller coaster in football. However the big 12 will add general fans just to see the match ups. I go regardless bc the team needs us.

I agree 100%, just win and people will be at TDECU. The product has to improve…

1 Like

Certain posters need to quit blaming the fans. TDECU and NRG were amazing atmosphere during the Herman era. Second to none. Under Holgi, that place is a morgue.

7 Likes

When we bring recruits to our empty stadium, we can explain that the reason our stands are empty is because we demand excellence and that if they come and we win all our games the stands will be full and the environment electric. All they need is to not lose more than three games a season and to take none of those losses in an embarrassing faction.

Then they’ll do a Texas Tech visit and they’ll be 6-5 and there’ll be 50,000 fans there cheering them on.

We’ll totally be able to sell that to the athletes we need to get 10 wins a season.

1 Like

It took at least half of 2015 before fans started buying into the undefeated Coogs even with a surprise road win at Louisville early in the season. 2016 was electric while UH was in the Top 15 and when Louisville came in with #5 ranking and a Heisman candidate QB.

It’s a morgue now because Dana is not winning enough games to make UH a top 10 or 15 team every season. The same was true for Major, Tony, Helton, Dimel, Sumlin at times, etc

Who’s to blame? The coach that cannot win every game and keep UH in the national spotlight every season? Or the fans that jump off the bandwagon and hide their UH gear as soon as the spotlight is no longer on their team? Or the alums that stop showing up because they don’t like the coach?

You can blame whomever you want but I am just saying you have to win at a high level if you want a Houston stadium to be mostly full every game.

4 Likes

I love it when people posts things and get pointed out that its wrong but they just flat out shrug it off and refuse to acknowledge that they may be wrong or are wrong.