OT: UCF sells out Season Tickets

https://mobile.twitter.com/TerryMohajirAD/status/1559555235592523776

Must be nice to have a fanbase in a major city that doesn’t have an excuse for everything.

16 Likes

12,000 student tickets holy guacamole

5 Likes

Once again color me envious but the city of Houston will never get on the Coog bandwagon unless we are going to final fours or major bowl games.
Heck most of our alums who live within a 60 mile radius don’t give a flip and prefer going be at games with kids at other schools.
Once again win and least folks talk about us and die hard fans make the games

14 Likes

Orlando NFL. Nope
Orlando MLB. Nope

Not an excuse, but fact. Those two sports suck up a tremendous amount of discretionary sport dollars. And yes, Houston loves a winner. They also love competition with brand names and rivalries. Not the AAC’s strong suit. The B12 will solve a lot of problems

10 Likes

If they love a winner please explain the sinkhole that is the Texans.

7 Likes

It’s pro football and folks want to be associated with it regardless cause everyone wants to be in the room with stars -

Our local is enamored with the Texans like they are super bowl contenders and refuses to ever shift the narrative

3 Likes

The Texans ARE feeling the lack of support due to lack of commitment to winning. The first preseason (yes, I know…preseason) game was 50% capacity and half of those in attendance were cheering for the other team.

4 Likes

Well, I got my qty. 4 UH football season tickets delivered today. I’m happy.

6 Likes

Also 61,000 undergraduates students. 10% of the undergraduates are fraternity/sorority members which makes for long term university support and 15,000 on campus and university affiliated beds mean great campus life connection

7 Likes

Answer is Type of Students they accept.

Look how hard UCF is working to make it a tradition rich on-campus atmosphere despite being way younger than the University of Houston

3 Likes

I think everything is recovering from Covid. I do think we need to get Pezman and Dana around campus to pump up the students and have them hit the radio air waves to talk up the team a little. Dana has something to sale to the fans now.

1 Like

Need to require first year students to be on campus, need to promote things that create a connection to the university. Be it clubs, fraternities… Etc.

Invest in the 3rd ward to make it a place students WANT to be. Bars, clubs, parks and restaurants…

Just because the University of Houston is known as a commuter school does not mean that it needs to continue to be known as such.

If you build it and whatnot

11 Likes

Client of mine overheard me talking with someone else about UH football. As a texans fan, he felt the need to interject with, “Don’t you get tired of watching kids play football?” Ummm… If those “kids” are the 18-23 year olds playing for UH, no, I guess I don’t. Anyway… just an example of the mentality that keeps NFL the king in Houston.

1 Like

It’s good what Ucf is doing but I do think we’re gonna have a huge uptick in sales and will sell out or be close once in the big 12. It’s gonna be much easier than in the past for us.

So we will get the same result. We averaged 25k in Covid then Covid is over and we can expect 5 to 7k visitors plus our increase each game. We will be ok

Good luck trying to get a season ticket for basketball. I tried to get one for a friend who is now a season ticket holder for football with our group. You can still buy a single ticket in a few spots, but not much else. Winning changes everything. Once we know last season was not an aberration things will pick up.
I expect San Antonio will have a lot of Red People in town for the game.

2 Likes

You nailed it!

…the fact so many UH alums are encouraging their sons and daughters to go to another state school for "A Better College Experience " is the proof right there.

Cougar Matt Thomas is about to be 0-3 on UH legacies…first Texas Tech, then Texas A&M and now he is talking about his daughter going to LSU possibly.

This is a MAJOR problem.

UCF creates on campus student events to keep students there.

What’s that one called with the bubbles?

5 Likes

They like $15 beer and grown men that paint their face and wear bullhorns

2 Likes

What are the key archetypes of student that would support college football? I don’t think it’s so much with the type of student UH attracts, rather a systematic one that’s beyond UH. There’s a maturity involved that takes the city and state/general region, and government to support a university. Neither have done us those favors historically.

I would argue that Rice recruits “traditional” students yet their support is worse than ours. Same goes for SMU.

The reason we can’t sell out a stadium is because UCF is constantly promoting themselves and love the banter. They have created a unison at games and the people around want to be a part of it. Couple that with B12 and every team invited except us have sold out their season tickets.

2 Likes