Other games Week of 11/29

You shouldn’t say this to the media. Penny needs to get a filter in his interviews

2 Likes

#12 BYU loses to Utah Valley, 73-65 in OT. What Impressed me was how UV hit virtually all their free throws.

1 Like

Lots of ranked teams go down tonight

#14 Florida goes down to unranked OU

#24 Michigan drops one to unranked UNC.

So far this week:

1 Duke lost to Ohio St by 5
12 BYU lost to Utah Valley by 7
14 Florida lost to Oklahoma by 7
18 Memphis lost to Georgia by 3
24 Michigan lost to UNC by 21

Penny is better at throwing his players under the bus than coaching. Same s***, different day from him. Wouldn’t surprised me if Memphis has few players quit before conference start.

3 Likes

Quit meaning enter the transfer portal.

Definitely possible.

1 Like

Portal or get ready for NBA with their own training. They’re sure not getting develop with Penny AAU style of basketball.

5 star players do not walk on water. Many of them are physically undeveloped, possess very little foot work and have no shot.
They could use both Ellis and Cisse who chose to play elsewhere. I knew it was a red flag when key components are leaving after winning an NIT championship.
A staff needs workers. They have another of his NBA buddies sitting on the bench and an 80+ year old coach who looks like he is disinterested during the games How prepared do you think those teams are for each game compared to our Coogs. Things have a chance to start getting ugly.

It could get ugly for Memphis next 4 games. At least they have Murray St and Bama. Ole Miss on the road and neutral court against Tennessee. Hoping for 0-4 but I’ll take 1-3. And I normally don’t root against our conference mates OOC games except for Penny.

2 Likes

No, they never got on the bus to be thrown under. They are standing in front of it arguing with each other. He’s just calling them out saying you need to get onboard.
Their Ken Pom defensive rating went from #1 to 19 in the last three games. They definitely are having chemistry issues. They can be very good, but they need to work together.

1 Like

He’s the coach :joy::joy: like Sampson said the culture starts with the head coach. That’s on nobody but him. You pick the team, you set the tone all off season, they are 7 games in and he’s talking about the team’s attitude? That’s on him, I’m not about to be blaming 17 year olds for not understanding what it takes. Penny should have been telling them and setting the culture. And he has dudes who have been with the team for 2-4 years they should help set the culture, but there isn’t one. Penny can’t blame anyone but himself

1 Like

When teams play poorly at the beginning of the season and make excuses about new team, new guys.

It’s crap. Cause they’ve been practicing for several weeks/months.

Semester starts in August. Season starts in October. So you should have at least some idea about roles. About team chemistry

Point#2: Taze Moore played well against Hofstra. But sucked against Wisconsin. And got his ass chewed out for it. If he was on Memphis he would get high fives for all his dunks.

Unfortunately, Penny isn’t feared by his players. Cause no way after the Iowa St game, should they have lost to Georgia. They should’ve beat Georgia by double digits if Memphis was legit

Penny was busy doing AAU scrimmages for their boosters to watch. There’s no time for practice. All about making a movie.

That can’t be a real quote, can it?

I still think that they will get it figured out by conference play. I think having Brown and Wallace on staff will help them.

I think having Wallace and Brown on the bench is actually a big part of the problem.

2 Likes

Also when the main selling point for your recruiting is money Goodluck getting all these guys to buy in every game. Sampson wont sacrifice his culture for anyone. Like he told Walker, don’t commit here if you aren’t ready to work and want things handed to you, nothing is guaranteed.

Also Sampson would not be starting two 17 year olds on his team. I’m not blaming them they are kids, they shouldn’t know what it takes to win right now. But penny has vets who have been with the program for 2-4 years and they still don’t know what it takes. That’s on nobody but penny. Sampson either gets guys who know what it takes to win(Kyler, Reggie), gets guys who are willing to learn what it takes(Grimes, Deeky, Taze), or he doesn’t get them at all.

This isn’t the pros when your stuck with what you got. Penny is the one that puts the roster together and sets the tone and culture of the program. So for him to just sit there and blame the players is honestly baffling, and shows he doesn’t understand what it takes to be a good college coach. He should try to coach in the NBA I think he will be a lot better off.

1 Like

There is a reason there are less pitinos, Roy Williams, coach k’s and caliparis in ncaa coaching than there are x and o guys. It takes a special kind of talent to get those caliber of recruits to help together. Some years it works and some it doesn’t. 9 out of the last 25 championships.

Penny does not possess that skill set.

Fixed it for him

Virginia going to lose to Pitt. Not great.