Isn’t Jalen Emery back from portal ?
Probably on the 2 deep.

Good info. Appreciate it.

5 Likes

Will have Aussie punter show up for fall

3 Likes

Confirmed?

1 Like

Probably got the skill-position players right, but that’s it. Except for Hunter and Jenkins, the first-team offensive line was different in the spring, not that it might not change, especially if we bring in more transfers. I thought the base defense was going to be a 3-4. I don’t think we’re using five DBs unless it’s a passing situation. Latrell McCutchin is going to start at one corner. Brandon Mack is probably going to be a key component and might play the monster or whatever they call it position.

3 Likes

When does the portal close?

Entering the portal within the next few days, but actually transferring can go on for weeks or months.

1 Like

Must enter by May 1

Ui Ale should be no 2 on that chart.

2 Likes

Jack Martin had booming punts in the spring game.

Not saying we don’t need a dedicated punter, but there may be some competition in the fall.

I looked at Tulane’s depth chart on their game notes. Interesting. They call it a 3-4, but it seems more like a 4-2-5. Here it is:

So there’s a NT and DT, a DE, and a “dog.” But the two guys playing the dog position are 260 and 280, so it’s more a DL than a LB position. In addition, there’s an “anchor” that must be like a nickel back or rover. So assuming we’ll be running this as our base defense, I can probably make a decent guess at the front seven and the corners, but I don’t know what safety position the players on the back end will hold down.

DE K. Cooper, Q. Lee
NT E. Rogers, X. Stillman
DT A. Holmes, J. Benton/T.Robbins
DOG B. Mack, Z. Strong
LB C. Platt, M. Batton
LB J. Morris, K. Gant
ANCHOR ???
CB L. McCutchin, J. Wilson
SS ???
FS ???
CB I. Hamilton, K. Davis

If I had to guess I would say that Haulcy, McLaurin, and either Webb or Gaston will be the three starters.

So if that is the lineup, I would say the defensive line looks decent, not high quality but maybe middle of the pack in the Big 12. Platt and Morris should be pretty good and we have good depth at LB. I like the two-deep at CB and the likely starting safeties, especially Haulcy. All in all (and that all in all includes coaching), we should see improvement on defense. Hard to say just how much. And we are still pursuing transfers. I know some DBs were on campus this weekend, so we might get some commitments in the next few days.

6 Likes

They should just call us “Transfer U.”

All but one of our projected defensive starters and 9 of our 11 projected offensive starters are transfers.

Hard to believe that Manjack and not Mews is penciled in as our projected punt returner.

Opportunity U. in full effect at UH.

Fritz called ManJack depth at that position when asked about it at the Spring gane

looking forward to watching the reciever core! if Johnson is the #2, that must say a lot about Jonah Wilson. Johnson really came on as the season kept going

1 Like

I really like our first four, but after the attrition our depth is all but non-existent. But we’re probably going to be using two WRs instead of three a lot of the time, and we should pick up one or two from the portal. Wilson kind of reminds me of John Brown III, a WR during the Jenkins years. Like Wilson he was 6-3+, very fast, and seemed to glide.

IMG_3347

4 Likes

We also have 2 freshman receivers coming in who are very well thought of…

2 Likes

His first punt was below average and then he seriously boomed one. He is a former punter so maybe but I expect new faces in kicking game before fall rolls around.

Defense will be playing over 70 snaps a game.

Not with good clock management from the offense.

So we picked up two starting receivers from Tulsa today. One, Devan Williams, is 6-2 and was Tulsa’s second-leading receiver. The other, Marquis Shoulders, was their fifth-leading receiver, but he was lost for the season after a game played in late September. So with those two along with Mekhi Mews, Ja’Ryan Wallace, Anthony Gangi, and a couple of impressive freshmen, depth should be fine.

3 Likes