Pac 12 Expansion

Per a Reddit recap of a Canzano radio interview:

"Canzano claims he heard “not from either OSU or WSU, but from another school possibly involved that things are in motion to add four or five Mountain West schools by the end of June if they haven’t found a P4 landing spot by then.”

San Diego State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Boise State, and UNLV are the likely targets.

AAC schools - whoever the ACC leaves behind this summer - will take the last remaining spots. Most likely candidates are Rice, Tulsa, and UTSA

As the Mountain West and AAC schools dont play many sports that the Beavers and Cougars hold dear - baseball, mens soccer, womens rowing, etc - a push is being made to add the entire WCC as non Football schools.

Creating a conference that can play football well enough to tangle with the Big12 and ACC schools and possibly the best basketball conference in the country."

Seems like the bolded sentence implies Florida St and others leaving the ACC this summer and the ACC backfilling with American schools…

The new Pac 10 would be the two leftovers, five MWC schools and three American schools.

2 Likes

“best basketball conference” that is funny and Canzano continues to be the clown he always has been.

Reading the tea leaves on Canzano is worthless. He was wrong so, so, so many times on realignment it was ridiculous.

7 Likes

Man got to spit out something to try to be relevant. He’s got to eat to, like all of us.:rofl: More to what he is saying it makes sense to keep the PAC name by consuming some (MWC or WCC like Gonzaga), teams into the PAC, but it is not going to get them anymore money…imo.

2 Likes

Uhhhhh…that will NOT be a top basketball conference.

Not even top four or five.

OSU and Wazzu probably will be involved in some sort of “reverse merger” with all or part of the MWC…but that will NOT create a particularly strong football or basketball conference.

2 Likes

It would be a good basketball league with Gonzaga, St. Mary’s, SDSU, New Mexico, Boise, Nevada, Colorado State. All are rated from 15-37 in the NET. The Mountain West is actually #4 in conference RPI rankings.

Conzano just can’t let go can he

4 Likes

First, the article said nothing about St. Mary’s or Gonzaga. Don’t add to Clownzano’s theory.

Second, the MWC is nowhere close to being the equal of the Big 12, Big East, ACC, B1G, or SEC in basketball.

Not close.

3 Likes

I like it. Always looking for late Fb and baseball games.
Doubt Zags and St Marys join.
In their best interest to be far and away the powers of WCC.

Can that group even get the ESPN-AAC deal ?

Yup.
UTSA spending near $60 million on a hoop/Vball practice facility. Worth triple total travel miles & late games for a better hoop conf but how much better ? Get new arena in the planning stages and tear up the AAC instead.

Traditionally they haven’t been, but this year they are in the top four in RPI.

Real Time RPI

Warren Nolan RPI

I’m looking at the current NET rankings.

Looking at the number of Top 30 teams by conference.

Big 12: 7 (8 counting Arizona)
Big East: 3 (all in the Top 12)
B1G: 4
SEC: 5
ACC: 2 (but both are in the Top 10)
MWC: 3 (but the highest is #18; the others aren’t even in the Top 20)

So based on that, no.

Even this year, the future Clownzano conference (St. Mary’s and Gonzaga aren’t a part of it) would NOT be in the Top Five in basketball; probably #6 at best.

The MWC has six teams in the top 40 in the NET, which is obviously why all RPI services rank them in the top four. The PAC 12 has two, the ACC three, the Big 10 and Big East four. But if you don’t want to believe that the MWC is a top four or five basketball conference this season, that is certainly your right.

Do it! What an amazing conference!! So much better than the Big XII it’s amazing.

Please let Utah go to this amazing rebuilt conference without penalty.

13 Likes

But it has only ONE school in the TOP 20 NET.

That’s what the TOP of the college basketball world consists of. The TOP (20) TEAMS.

By contrast:

Big 12: 5 (6 including Arizona)
SEC: 4
ACC: 2
B1G: 2
Big East: 3
MWC: 1

So no.

Based on that, I do NOT believe that the MWC is a Top 4 basketball conference.

They simply do NOT have as many TOP 20 NET teams as five others do.

Not even Top 5.

They barely crack the top five even if you consider the Top 30 NET teams.

If you have to go all the way down to FORTY (which YOU have to) to make a case to the contrary, then I’m not sure that you have a good case. That’s no longer really the “top” echelon of college basketball in my mind.

So based on that…I stand by my VERY SOUND position.

It’s based on which conferences have the most NET Top 20 teams. But if you want to believe that the MWC is better than five other conferences with more top 20 teams, then to use a youism, that’s certainly your right.

The MWC ain’t Top 4 this year based on that.

And if you were to look historically…the gap is even wider.

1 Like

You shouldn’t even have to explain this

Conzano is a clown

Of course he is.

That conference he proposes of the PAC 2, five MWC schools mentioned, and three AAC schools (which, BTW, does NOT include St. Mary’s or Gonzaga; nice try Sam!) would NOT be Top 4 in football, nor would it be Top 4 in basketball, even this year, based on the number of NET Top 20 teams it has.

Sadly…some people, even on this board, do indeed need to have that explained to them.

The current MWC doesn’t even qualify as such in that regard.

Adding the entire WCC to that conference (there’s allegedly a “push” for that; sure thing John!) would indeed bring in St. Mary’s and Gonzaga for basketball, but it would also bring in a lot of really crappy teams as well. Until recently, the WCC was often a one bid league in basketball, so that isn’t anything too special either.

I don’t see that as realistic at all.

A bunch of non-football CHURCH SCHOOLS joining a new PAC? Come on now.

Zano needs lay off the drinking before he works on a column

I actually agree that the PAC-2 and MWC will indeed have some sort of “reverse” merger; they might even use the PAC name and logos which the PAC-2 now owns, having won their lawsuit.

But the conference that results from it will NOT be anything special in either football or men’s basketball.

Not among the tops in either.

Canzano

Why is the PAC2 trying to build back up as a G5 since that is what the CFP considers them as?

1 Like

Sounds like it to me…5 good adds form MWC and 3 from American gives them some G5 strength, and the PAC could compete for that G5 slot in playoff…

1 Like