PAC 12 Stripped of Autonomous Power (Officially a G6)

So, there is no need for MWC schools to go to the PAC 2. We are a A4!

https://x.com/RossDellenger/status/1782522388392837380

2 Likes

6 Likes

I’m so thankful the PAC 12 didn’t invite us.
:slightly_smiling_face:

18 Likes

I second that.

I would hate to have been left behind in that train wreck.

4 Likes

@uhlaw97

It was either the Big 12 or the PAC.

If the Big 12 had invited Houston, then they would’ve invited a few other schools too. The remaining would’ve probably joined the ACC.

There isn’t a world where both the Big 12 and PAC would’ve survived.

2 Likes

Exactly!

The Big 12 and PAC were interchangeable but the PAC raids the Big 12 would have demoted MORE schools to the G5 which makes the P club MORE EXCLUSIVE…not less.

1 Like

Not really.

TCU and Baylor would join the ACC.

If SMU could, then surely they could as larger and more recently successful brands.

And the PAC would give us too many late night games on school nights, worse attendance based on what we have seen UO, UW, and USC draw in Houston in the past, and fewer local rivals, all for a conference ranked lower in basketball for football from 2015 until just this season.

The great crowds we got for the Big 12 this year would NOT have been as good had we been in the PAC simply because those PAC teams don’t generate the same level of local interest.

That’s why most of us shook our heads, rolled our eyes in disbelief, and couldn’t understand what in the name of Hell you were thinking when you expressed a preference for us to go to the PAC over the Big 12.

The latter has been our goal for eons.

NOT the PAC.

1 Like

Option A…UH joins a P5 PAC with 3 -5 other Big 12 schools. The rest of the Big 12 leftovers are demoted to G5 land and BYU + UCF + Cincinnati + SMU never get the bump up.

Option B…UH, along with BYU + UCF + Cincinnati get promoted. The PAC falls apart after USC + UCLA + Washington + Oregon leave and the Big 12 Adds 4 PAC schools.
SMU, somehow, gets promoted and move to the ACC along with Calford.
WSU and OSU get demoted.

Option A STILL was the better option for us since 3-5 Big 12 schools would have also moved to the PAC and they NEVER would have promoted BYU + UCF + Cincinnati + SMU.

You have no proof that your “Option A” was ever even an actual possibility

The main reason the PAC fell apart was because Oregon and Washington wanted $50 Million. There aren’t any schools in the current Big 12 that would incentivize that type of deal. UH definitely would not help the PAC get $50 Million from ESPN (as a sole partner) given UH doesn’t even get full shares in the Big 12 until 2026

Regarding Option B; the ACC didn’t add those schools to bring value to the conference. It was merely to keep the structure of the contract should UNC, Clemson and FSU leave.

It’s possible that even if the PAC survived, that SMU, Cincy and BYU could’ve been the schools that joined the ACC because Cal and Stanford would’ve still been PAC schools

It was reportedly widely that all Big12 schools applied to the pac12 after OU and Texas left. The pac12 could have picked any combination of schools it wanted, but chose not too. That was option “A”.

Level of ineptitude that they showed was outstanding.

6 Likes

Applied? Or invited?

North Texas could’ve applied for all we know, and UH wasn’t even in the Big 12 when the rumors of the PAC supposedly considered expanding started swirling.

The fact of the matter is that the PAC12 (really just Oregon and Washington) wanted $50 Million per school, and ESPN was not going to give them that.

TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Baylor, etc etc… not a single combination of these schools would bump the PAC to $50 Million each, and even less so, Houston.

While the PAC wasted all this time trying to get so much money, the Big 12 expanded with UH, Cincy, UCF and BYU to land their deal with ESPN/FOX, which made it even tougher for the PAC to get a good deal because Bowlsby essentially took the last Power 5 media deal in the market.

The PAC barely got a deal to match the Big 12, and this was WITH Oregon and Washington. → Oregon and Washington left as a result because they made more money even at partial shares in the B1G. The four corners left because the PAC wasn’t going to get anything close to $40 Million.

Regardless of all of this we are in the BIG 12 because of Bowlsby. I am convinced he wanted to stick it to espn and got us in. Remember who wanted the BIG 12? Their was one media outlet and a school located in Austin. Why do you think?

2 Likes

My bad, I meant Bowslby not Yormark

Big12 took the deal that espn had offered to the pac12 and that the Pac rejected. That’s money espn had accounted as spent.

Again, if the pac has accepted that deal, the big12 would have been in serious trouble.

Yet here we are. The big12 survived, because of pac12’s ineptitude.

3 Likes

Interesting thought is if Yormack had been commissioner instead of bowlsby , would he have expanded with four or just two schools .

Yes, but my point is that @UH1927 is sorta making up false scenarios

Oregon and Washington (the 2 biggest remaining brands in the PAC with the most media power) made more money at partial shares in the B1G than if they would’ve just accepted the ESPN deal, so they left as a result.

Without Oregon and Washington, that ESPN deal was worth even less than it would’ve been WITH Oregon and Washington. That then resulted in the conferences collapse and the four corners jumping to the Big 12.

If you want my honest opinion, even if the PAC took the deal (with Oregon and Washington), I don’t think UH is a part of that combination because we would’ve still been in the AAC in this case. It would’ve been Tech, OK State, Kansas, and Iowa State most likely.

The other schools would’ve probably joined the ACC or got kicked to G5.

The purpose of all this realignment really turned into getting rid of unnecessary inventory (Wazzu and Oregon State)

The next inventory to be dumped is most likely the bottom tier ACC schools.

After that happens, who knows.

What would have happened is what happened.

Very appreciative that it did. Not going to worry about the other scenarios.

2 Likes

I’ve tried to tell 1927 for years that “Option A” was never on the table, much less even a realistic possibility. It’s a made up fantasy scenario that he for some reason still thinks was possible.

It wasn’t, never was, and never would have been.

By contrast, all the criticisms I made about joining the PAC were 100% valid.

Some people simply can’t admit when they are/were wrong.

Ok…how about this for proof.

The Big 12 lost Texas and Oklahoma.

In the past, they also lost the CURRENT P2 brands of Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Missouri.

To counter the UT/OU defections, they added FOUR G5 brands and their media contract went UP!

So…you’re saying if the PAC decided to kill the Big 12 by adding Texas Tech, Kansas, Oklahoma State and say Houston and TAKE AWAY that Big 12 deal it would go down?

Say, then USC and UCLA bolt, and they add 2 of Iowa State, TCU, or Kansas State.

That is still a better confetence than the current Big 12 and there would have been PLENTY of central time zone content.

But…that didnt happen so we work with what we have but the proof is the Big 12 contract went UP after adding four G5 brands…not down!

UH joing the Big 12 was also NOT a possibility for UH till it was.

We had been CONTINOUSLY told ’ we dont want you in our conference ’ from 1995 to the day they finally caved and let us in last year…IN 2023!

On the PAC raiding the Big12…that DEFINITELY was real.

So much so, they had an exploratory committee look into it but ultimately decided to go against it which was their suicide.

I knew it!

They STILL had a shot to raid the B12 after USC and UCLA left but again opted for their own SUICIDE

2 Likes