People are getting tired of Bama in finals every year

I don’t understand your comment. Ndsu hasn’t moved up to either level of fbs

No but the App St’s and Georgia Southern have. This is a constant with FCS. JMU and SHSU are the newest departures (i.e the two other recent title winners not named NDSU). Do you think their departure will make it easier or harder for NDSU to win the title next year? Its a different dynamic then what exists in FBS and D1 basketball.

2 Likes

Word!

I predict BOB will get a new NFL HC job. My money is on the Chicago Bears. If there was any organization stupid enough to let this guy near the sideline, it would be them.

I am sure the meeting will go something like this -

“Look at what he (BOB) did for Deshaun Watson? Imagine what he could do with Justin Fields. I mean they are both African American QBs, so they are basically the same, am I right??” - Bears Owner

2 Likes

As long as he’s not the GM and head coach he does alright.

He talks SEC dominance/fatigue @ the 1st 10 minutes. He swears a bit.

Now that is a map I can get behind! All good H-town about to be a southern empire for the assist, man, three, two, one, swish, and…

1 Like

I’m tired of seeing them in the finals too. However, I also recognize just how great of a coach Nick Saban is. He is the GOAT!

At this point is it him coaching? Or his assistants?

If it’s his assistants then is he such a personable guy that he keeps filling his Rolodex with people he meets and evaluated to be good coaches? Is he a ceo or does he still have a knack to adapt to the game and think up new plays?

I really don’t know how coaching at his level works so my question is legitimately to learn.

Thank you for sending. This is an excellent article.

Again, I think the key is demographics. I think that the Awful Announcing article sort of touches on it, but is too afraid to go the extra step. Fact is, people are moving South, and as such, those states have more kids of sports playing age and they still play football.

I have lived in the Midwest, Northeast and Mid-Atlantic and Southeast (born and raised in Texas, which is its own thing). First, in many regions outside the Southeast, people are not letting their kids play football. In fact, in many states, football is no longer offered as a middle school sport and now its even getting to the point where they won’t let kids play tackle football until 10th grade. Troy Aikman made this point about 5 years ago when he said that he would not allow his sons to play football. There are a lot of parents, especially suburban moms (like my wife) who feel the same way. “Soccer moms” came about because they did not want their kids to play football.

The other issue that people don’t want to touch on, but I will, is that there has been a Reverse Great Migration of African-Americans away from the Midwest, Northeast and West Coast back to the South. As a result, schools in that region have more access to the best athletes. So, you combine that with the fact that those athletes get training at an earlier age, and this is what you end up with.

I can’t remember who said it, but someone stated that the worst thing that ever happened to ND and the Big Ten was Brown v Board (i.e., desegregation). After that, many African-American athletes no longer had to leave home to play at major college football programs. It did not happen immediately because you still had resistance from many people in the South to integration.

Ironically, it was because of football coaches like Bear Bryant and Hayden Fry (SMU, but Hawkeye for Life!) and Guy Lewis, Don Haskins and Dean Smith in basketball, that schools in the South began to desegregate their athletic teams. Since then, the last team to win a Football National Title with no African American players was the 1969 U-Tee team. We all know about college basketball and Texas Western, but UH and UCLA dominated college basketball in the 1960’s because they had integrated teams. Only team that could beat UH was UCLA!

Again, not a coincidence that of the non-Southern teams, OSU, PSU, and Pitt have won 7 national titles since 1975, and have played for even more (interesting fact: UGA beat Pitt to win the 1980 national title, and lost to PSU in the national championship in 1983). Ohio and Pennsylvania are probably the only states in the Midwest where pee-wee football is still extremely popular.