Play Robbie Armbrester

You also need to understand he had a healthy Shead when he made that statement.

Now he is out for the foreseeable future…. It’s turning into a numbers game at this point. CKS may feel exactly the same today as he did then….but he and the staff may also be forced to have new conversations now.

Armbrester and Elvin are the only two non bigs left at this point.

It’s a fair question.

6 Likes

Elvin gotta be like 75 y.o. now… Gonna be tough. Maybe sub for 60 secs. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

In his post game tonight he made it clear that Robbie isn’t and never has been a guard.

4 Likes

I get that. But Fabian had never been a guard either and we’re playing him at Small Forward sometimes

Fabian can shoot better than Robbie.
But I think defensively Robbie can get the job done

The post might seem dumb to some, but I think Neil needs to relax

I’m not attacking the coach if he doesn’t play Robbie. If the topic is dumb, just don’t comment, move on to another persons post

2 Likes

Walker, Edwards, Moore and Fabs will rotate on the perimeter until Shead is back.

Chaney, Carlton, Roberts and, if needed, Francis will rotate in the paint.

I still don’t think Armbrester plays much at this point unless we’re in serious foul trouble.

2 Likes

I am not about to try to tell Coach Sampson who he should play. If he thinks Robbie can help he will play him, otherwise Ryan, man up.

As if Ryan is better than Armbrester? It’s good thing you’re not telling CKS what to do since he reads these boards.

The players just can’t be playing 35-40 a game, plus the likelihood of players getting in foul trouble. With both of those factors taken into consideration, Armbrester will play.

Forgive me CKS for overriding your authority. I’m admittedly a “do nothing” who has taken over as coach. I’ll see you at practice on Monday.

3 Likes

Both Robbie and Ryan are now candidates for playing time.

It is going to happen. Perhaps they enter after a TV timeout. Play a while, then Samps calls a timeout. Enter a starter again.

Robbie played at the 4 spot in high school. The transition to a shooting guard or point guard is very difficult. I’m assuming that he is still trying to functionally handle the 2 position.

so did ramon and taze (stretch 4s last year) …edwards is the only active guard thats always been a guard …
the refusal to play robbie despite such bad depth issues at the guard spots, not even for minor moments of rest is 1 of 3 things… he just cant figure out Sampson’s system and is just lost; he has extremely slow feet and is a liability on defense; or some kind of dog house issue

4 Likes

The small minutes Robbie has played in blowout wins, he didn’t look terrible out there.

I get that he’s a big work in progress. Probably like a 2 yr redshirt guy like Kiyron Powell.

But he’s another body. He’s another 5 fouls we can use. Could be a dog house type thing like @pesik said.

I just don’t see how Elvin is better option defensively than Armbrester

One thing is for certain… We’ll see next game if he can crack the 9 man rotation.

I think we rotate Edwards, Moore, Walker, White in the 1-3 spots and Roberts, Francis, Carlton, Chaney 4-5.

And work the ball inside.

I still don’t think he plays much, if it all…

1 Like

Highly doubt its a doghouse thing, Sampson has praised him in press conferences several times but says he just isnt ready OR a guard.

3 Likes

If he’s saying the kid isn’t ready then I suppose its a lot more obvious to the coaching staff than what we perceive.

But…things change.

He may have to get ready.

1 Like

Bussey, we can say what we would do, my point is I will not second guess CKS. If things keep on like they have, we may end up playing with one guard, 2 forwards and two centers before it’s over. More than likely 2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center.

the “he’s not a guard” thing are new… for most of the offseason, he said he would play the role of Hinton

1 Like

There’s no way Elvin should ever have to be on the floor Robbie needs to be in the game at guard it’s not like he’s going to bring it down the floor Elvin is like equivalent to a D3 player

1 Like

Coach has been nice enough to give him the minutes he has gotten

He did not gift him any minutes. The kid works just as hard as the other players on the team. He earned his time on the court.

Also, you have no idea how he compares to the average D3 guard.

11 Likes