Playoff expansion more likely than realignment

The only way they would ever get two teams in with their current top 25 record…unlike the SEC or B10. There are usually several b12 overrated (t25) teams to start the season to give the top two a chance to load up with a favorable early conference schedule.

The “big way” is confusing as written. It was meant to signify high hopes for any expansion, not a “big” expansion.

As long as they get 1 team in the CFP regularly, they’ll only expand if doing so adds some serious $ to their media payouts.

I wish I could agree Patrick but just last November the espn pundits and many others made it a point that even an undefeated G5 does not belong into an eight Teams cfp. They went further hamering the point that a two losses SEC Team should be in vs a G5. The cartel more than likely will expand the cfp. They will extend it to make more money for themselves.
In case this happens we will be at a cross road. Would the cartel risk it? The formation of a so called super league is already here. It is called the P5’s. Horen Hatch protected his own. Who in congress will come to our rescue? So far we can only hear crickets. I like the sound of crickets but I much prefer the sound of our Team playing in a P5. Buying our way in might be the best possible outcome. Who needs investors? Yes it could be pointing West.

2 Likes

IMO major expansion comes down to 3 things in order of how big the shakeup would be:

1. What OU and Texas decide to do. If they bolt it will be silly season chaos once again.

2. If the B10 decides to get even bigger. If UT/OU don’t work for whatever reason I think they go for coastal ACC schools. Again if they want to expand. There is also a chance that B10 takes two ACC schools and ACC chooses not to replace, they’re already pretty big. B10 has a blank check if they want to expand and get more money they will expand and get more money.

3. PAC decides they need to expand because of their money/TV/time zone issues.

I think 3 is inevitable unless USC becomes a juggernaut again like tomorrow. The PAC is drowning compared to other P5s. The other 2 not sure.

1 Like

There was some noise from some of the Florida congressmen in regards to UCF…Marco Rubio was vocal about it. Possible they’d get involved if the playoff went to 8 and still no G5 rep.

I could see the P5 going ahead and throwing the G5 rep a spot…especially if it meant they no longer had access to the Bowl Game like they do now.

2 Likes

Nobody is leaving the ACC. All the ACC schools signed over their GoR into the mid 2030’s as part of their agreement with ESPN to launch the ACC network.

4 Likes

Good point, but the GoR has yet to be challenged in court. The B10 and SEC are the only conferences with blank checks. If the B10 wants 2 ACC Coastal schools they will get them and they will get more money for them. The networks fight tooth and nail for the SEC and B10 it’s their world the other conferences are just living in it. This is from a monetary/network/blue blood perspective not necessarily on the field.

1 Like

We have to wait and see but remember. The point of creating the cfp was to make sure the cartel could control the lottery numbers, the combination to the safe and the password to the ATM.
UCF imo is very likely to end up in the small 12. It will give the small12 a getway in the Florida market. This is where we shall position ourselves to get an offer to the ACC ASAP. Surely we have thought about it already.

3 Likes

If this were to happen, it would have already happened.

3 Likes

None of the bowls matter anymore. Incorporate the top 7 bowls permanently into the playoffs. Space the games two weeks apart starting with two weeks after the CCGs. Two weeks for the health of the players and for fan travel.

Dec 14
Cotton
Citrus
Holiday
Fiesta

January 1st
Sugar
Orange

January 15
Rose - granddaddy of them all.

Easy. Bowls matter again. Miami and New Orleans become part of the new years eve/day party calendar again.

Now the only thing holding this back is the NCAA rules stipulating that any playoff with 8 or more teams is considered a tournament and all tournament revenues are controlled by the NCAA.

1 Like

How would you know? You work for the small12? It is only my opinion.

Again, Pac12 and Big12-2 have to make changes. If addition is the path, any move into Texas, Ohio or Florida (Top G5’s being UH, Cincy, and UCF), will immediately start the turf war between the big boys, and then it is ON for all parties…
And again, this is gonna happen WAY WAY sooner than anyone is saying…

2 Likes

The opposite argument of this is they know adding teams for those states will start a turf war so don’t add teams from those states.

Not saying that will happen but it is a strategy.

1 Like

That is EXACTLY what has been happening to date. I guarantee you that there has been a wink-wink gentleman’s (ha) agreement not to s••t in each other’s front yard…
But the Pac12 (especially) and Big12-2 are in a box, which they helped create, and there are few choices to aim the first missile at…

1 Like

I know this goes against established wisdom on this board, but my own belief is that the PAC 12 will never expand into Texas. The ACC might, but chances are low. The best hope UH has of making a power conference is the Big 12.

However my own personal assessment aside, we don’t really know what might be happening behind the scenes, or even if something is happening at all. It may be distasteful but some serious ass kissing may be necessary. It worked for TCU!

I am convinced that the best way to get into a P5 is to find a way to buy our way in. tcu showed everybody that it can be done that way. As of today every scenario is possible. We won’t know the answer until re-alignment does not happen or does happen.

Can’t see Texas ever rubbing elbows with a directional school.

1 Like

It is true the PAC desperately needs to do SOMETHING to reverse the slide towards irrelevancy they are in right now. They are seen less than any other P5 and make less money than other P5s as well. They have been advised to expand and go East…Only logical to look towards state of Texas. But B1G is on clock first, and what they do and WHO they take will dictate a lot of what happens next.
Its impractical to think B1G will go after ACC schools like NC or Virginia. ESPN made sure their pet conference was locked up with a formidable GOR until 2030s…The great southwest is new virgin market for B1G and PAC…B1G could ask Texas. But Longhorn network causes serious problem since B1G has own network. We are a Texas state school that offers great possibilities without arrogance, without complaints, without problems. There is a reason B!g 10 man says Houston in catbird’s seat for re alignment.
and Dan, you seriously contend that its a strategy to NOT add a desirable school from a desirable state because some other conference might WANT them? DONT be ridiculous!!
As if something like that would EVER stop a conference like the B1G or ACC…or a desperate PAC 12 in need of markets and states in central time zone.
mont is right…you think ESPN gonna bend over and let FOX do what they want at their expense? We will see, but we are going to have some serious cards to play when this begins and we WILL get where we want to go, P5 wise…

5 Likes

Not exactly Aldine here’s an example of the strategy Mont and I were discussing. Let’s say tomorrow the B12 adds UCF and USF. Makes sense to B12 expand your recruiting and population footprint.

How would the 3 P5 Florida schools feel about this? Their number one recruiting advantage (p5) over two large in-state urban schools is gone. Wouldn’t it then make sense for the ACC or SEC to add schools in the B12 footprint to retaliate? This is the turf war we were discussing.

3 Likes

sooner or later someone is going to realize that it is going to take a lawsuit to break up this cabal that is ruining college football.

5 Likes