Playoff expansion more likely than realignment

May help the G5 some by increasing odds the AAC champ gets a spot, still won’t solve the massive media revenue differential.

1 Like

“Conference realignment” can have different interpretations. Doesn’t stop UH from getting a P5 invite.

6 Likes

The way things are looking, I think there is a better shot to Hell freezing over than any current G5 getting a P5 invite. With every passing year the lost revenue is huge.

3 Likes

One AD

I think he is right. Going to 8 makes sense.

There is nothing in this report. An anonymous source he wrote? Heck I have an anonymous source too. This is just another click bait.

3 Likes

Yes, the Big 10 or whatever it is called now doesn’t need to change. The Big 12 is going to say they are happy at 10, because they are currently getting paid and it’s going to be “every man for himself” when Texas and Oklahoma leave.

The eight team playoff could make a difference for G5 playoff access. If we would have won out the year we beat Oklahoma and Louisville, we would have likely been top eight. But, it will pretty much be adding another layer of the SEC and ACC standings and ensure that all P5 are represented.

The article was JUST SPECULATION …

anonymous sources … UT’s cowchip Brown … the man behind the green curtain … follow the yellow brick road … my cousin’s barber’s father-in-law … ARE NOT TOO CREDIBLE …

We do know the Big12 is about as stable as the San Andres Fault … neither OU or UT are extending their GORs … so in a few years or sooner (sorry for the pun) one will leave and my guess the other will stay … we just don’t know which …

The Pac12 is selling their conf. for stock that no one seems to be buying … stock in the Brooklyn Bridge is going higher …

I suspect more articles will come out of the woodwork eventually with more convincing proof than the well worn anonymous sources …

4 Likes

I would agree that the future of College Football is the playoff. Ten years ago, you could have said the future of college football is conference networks. Networks will continue to play a role in the way conferences conduct themselves. But access to the playoff will be a much bigger consideration over the next several years than most other topics. Access to an expanded playoff is the reason why I’m not so sure the Big 12 will disband when their grant of rights expires.

2 Likes

Exactly! OU and UT will probably make an 8 team playoff every year so why make it harder on yourself going to a more competitive conference?

2 Likes

The “Playoffs” will Never expand to G5, even if 20 teams get in. BTW, the more teams that get in also take away from what G5 top final ranking can be. Used to be a non AQ team could finish as high as 3…now maybe 5…if it becomes a playoff of 8, then 9 would be the highest…and they will make it hard for a G5 to ever be ranked 9…and so on!

1 Like

Anyone who thinks the B1G or the PAC is going to sit and do NOTHING when their GORs expire in 2023/2024 hasnt been paying attention…

5 Likes

Sounds to like this “unnamed AD” is from a bottom feeder big 12 school.

1 Like

Ive said ad nauseam on other threads that the Big 12 falling apart, while possible, is far from a certainty.

Just increase it to eight and make it the five P5 conference champs and the top three ranked G5s/indy.

Exactly Aldine…especially the Pac12, which is getting murdered in the current configuration…

1 Like

G5 will never be apart of the Playoff, period. We had a slim chance in the BCS era (AQ/nonAQ era), of course before that…but the carrot will continue to dangle over head.

1 Like

If they go to 8, it’ll be hard to exclude a G5 representative. Last time they did that, when the BCS stated, Congress started to get involved. I would imagine there would be problems again if they tried to do without a G5 rep.

4 Likes

The almighty b12 better hope it expands in a big way…not very impressive record vs top 25.

https://twitter.com/clowespn/status/1151491972005339136?s=21

4 Likes

How will expanding in a big way (whatever that means) improve their record vs top 25?