Playoffs? / 01/10/22 - playoff expansion delayed again

I’d rather it stay at 4 for the playoffs if no auto bids for p5 bc otherwise, why be p5 other than the money. This way only 2 sec teams get in vs 5 and UT and A$M can complain. They could easily make it work with p5 auto bids along with a g5 auto bid then 6 at large. P5 needs to be about money and auto bids just like now with auto bids to the big bowl games, otherwise the p5 is losing ground , other than the sec bc they know they will get many in regardless. Acc and Big 10 have it right in holding out. Totally at large with no auto bids makes the g5 stronger with less tough schedules and as we’ve seen , the polls love undefeated or one loss teams over a 9 and 3 with a tougher schedule.

If they don’t do auto bids then the g5 grows stronger and the big12 has to fight for the 1 spot that could have been an auto bid. You then have bama, LSU , Ga, A&M , Ut or OU getting in making them stronger. The big 12 loses grd in a non auto bid scenario.

While I’m agree with you that P5+1+6 is better for the Big 12 than 6+6 as things stand,

(a) This is worse for the Big 12 then 6+6 because not making the playoffs is very bad and we have a high risk of that happening any given season. With only for teams you need Blue Blood cred our conference won’t have. Remember what happened to TCU that first year.

(b) That isn’t what caused negotiations to collapse this time around anyway. That isn’t what the ACC is holding out for.

I was under the impression that the Acc and Big10 want auto bids for the reasons I stated.Is that not right?

That is their preference, but the ACC pulled the plug because they say it’s too many games for student athletes.

So are y’all very confident the big12 would have at least 1 team every yr under a non auto bid scenario?

I’m not because we’d have to have a top 12 team at least or better to be sure then we have to hope and fight for it like a g5. The polls could screw us. This yr was great bc we had 3 top 10 teams but we could have down yrs so I want an auto bid for the big 12 bc it’s gonna be a very tough league and I could see our champ going 9 and 3 often which won’t make the cut.Again the polls love an 11 and 0 g5 over a 9 and 3 big 12 even though we’re playing a very tough slate vs them.

We wouldn’t need a top 12 team. We’d just need one of the top 6 champions, which is not a big hurdle to jump. The AAC cleared that every year but two, and the Big 12 cleared that every year. (This year, HOUSTON cleared that with our 11-2 record)

We prob cleared it bc OU was still in the fold and the Acc missing it is a concern bc we could become like that where the polls and espn discriminate against us.

So are you saying under a non auto bid, our champ is still guaranteed a spot every yr? If yes then I’m ok with it but if not then no. I don’t want us to have to play all these tough games in the big12 and have to hope each yr like a g5.

1 Like

We are still looking at the big12 as it is currently constituted and projecting its future media bias value. That is inaccurate, the conference will take a major hit once those two schools leave. Future big12 schools will have to demonstrate an undefeated season or a significant win against a major big10 / SEC school to get to the 4 team playoffs.

Now for the ACC. The conference is tied to a horrid deal with ESPN though 2035 . They are simply leveraging, will not vote to expand the format until ESPN agrees to renegotiate their contract.

2 Likes

I agree on the hit we might take so I want the auto bid so I hope the Big10 and Acc hold out till we get it or just stay at 4 and let a$m and ut complain and fire coaches for not making the 4 team playoff.

1 Like

Even if they discriminate against the Big 12, they discriminate against the G5 more. They do this right now between G5 conferences. AAC teams get ranked ahead of G4 teams with fewer losses. The only time the AAC has ever had a ranked team that was not in the top six conference champions was 2016, with 10-3 Temple. The only other season the AAC wouldn’t have made the playoffs is 2014 when we didn’t have anyone ranked.

Meanwhile, if we stay at four, we are in exactly the situation you fear. Every year we just have to hope for the best.

I get why you have a preference for P5+1 over Top Six, but I truly don’t understand how “just stay at 4” is acceptable to you. Texas and A&M may get pissed at their coaches but our conference slides into irrelevance.

How do you think TV negotiations with ESPN are going to go with a playoff system in place that regularly leaves us out of it entirely?

This of course explains why a four team playoff is really our worst case scenario.

I don’t understand why ESPN would renegotiate with the ACC to expand playoffs they’re likely not going to have the exclusive rights to.

So under the top 6 conf champ, wouldn’t that mean an aac or other g5 could be ranked higher than a big12 or Acc? It could happen with easier schedules going 11 and 0 or 10 and 1.

If the AAC champ or another G5 ends up ranked higher than the Big 12 champ, the Big 12 champ still gets in.

You need the AAC and another G5 to be ranked higher than the Big 12 champ to get left out. That could happen, but it hasn’t happened with any P5 conference in any fully played season since the CFP was instituted.

I wasn’t clear, it’s not ESPN renegotiating with ACC regarding the playoffs, rather it’s the ACC stating that unless ESPN agrees to improve the current contract they have with the conference, the conference will not agree to futures that benefit the media company and that includes an expanded playoff.

The ACC had stated that they strongly favor going to the open market in the next iteration of the playoffs.

Notice ,cincy , Byu , La la , UH , Utah st and San Diego st in the top 25. I think we had the strongest season other than Cincy but the future g5 with the transfer portal and a free for all shot really will make the g5 stronger and hurts us vs a guarantee.

Your stated concern is that a 10 and 1 G5 team will end up ranked ahead of a 9-3 P5 team.

There are EIGHT 3+ loss P5 teams ranked ahead of the seventh highest ranked conference champion, 12-1 Louisiana. Only once in modern history have there been two undefeated G5/nonBCS programs, so the overwhelming likelihood is that the seventh conference champ will have at least one loss.

If your really sure we’d make it every yr then I’m ok with it, otherwise no so we have to be sure.

Agree, power play to keep the most money possible. The ACC has every right to act that way even though I am against their stance. The stinky rodent signed that deal. IMO the BIG12 has to be as “smooth” as possible. We are the P5 that is most at risk in the future CFP contract. Some might point out to PAC12 vs BIG12 on sports merits alone. The PAC12 has how many times the number of potential eye balls that we do? Bowlsby has surprised me by finally agreeing to get us in. He knows that adding a major metropolis to to the BIG12 portfolio was the only way to keep the BIG12 as a P5. He listened to media analyst on number of eye balls and potential advertising revenues. Sure ok and the great satan leaving will cost us. Having us in is an “investment” to the BIG12 and its future.

The ACC cannot blackmail ESPN to improve a contract they signed in good faith.

If a 12 team playoff deal is not struck in a reasonable time before the CFP contract expires, the SEC becomes very strong and will form a playoff with agreeable conferences. It’s in the ACC best interest to get on board or they will be left out of future decisions.

Right now, the vote has to be unanimous, but it has already been said that the next contract will be a majority vote since they will be starting from scratch again.

This is AP, you have to use the CFP to be accurate.