Post B12 Tournament

Starting another thread since the B12 game is basically over, and I’m tired of reading all the ridiculous comments about coaching and players earning scholarships. Ridiculous!

First and foremost, this game was much harder for Houston, given all of our key injuries. I wish we had another stud coming off the bench, but the fact is, we don’t.

You can tell Roberts is not himself with the way he’s playing. It almost looks like he doesn’t want to make contact anyone to prevent getting further injured. Offensively he didn’t really do anything. Defensively he didn’t bring it at all. That’s rare for Roberts. Without him, we go nowhere in the NCAA tournament.

Francis? He’s been terrific. Expecting Francis to guard all three ISU bigs without aggressive Roberts is not realistic, though. You think that’s why he fouled out?

Just curious… how many people on this board have played sports at a high-level? Get a grip. We’re playing with a short bench, which means the starters have tired legs. This is the third game in three days with that short bench. This isn’t the NCAA tournament where you get a day off between games and only play two games over a weekend.

On the other hand, ISU has a deep bench, no key injuries, and the momentum of playing in front of 17k fans in basically a home game. Not that that fan support was the key difference, but it energized ISU. Yes, we’ve played plenty of road games before, but not without key players.

Listen, if we can get Roberts back to at least 90%, our starters can make a strong run in the tournament. Without him, we’re an #1 team upset in the making.

On the bright side, how many times this year have all three of our guards played poorly? The only game I can think of was against Kansas in Lawrence. That’s it. Something tells me our players will be humbled by this lopsided loss and come out strong in the tournament. Why? Because this team has shown grit all season long. But there are limits with injuries. Getting Roberts healthy is key.

24 Likes

Huge props to everyone who went to KC.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

13 Likes

Fun year, IMO Shead seems like the kind of guy that practices in blue jeans and gave everything he had to give to this program. Now its time to celebrate a tourney run

3 Likes

get healthy, stay healthy, and get to Dallas for a chance at a Final Four

5 Likes

This . . . . .

1 Like

Nothing against you, but I hate comments like this. Why are athletes the only ones you can’t comment negatively about if you haven’t been one?

If you’ve never waited tables, can you complain about bad service?
If you’ve never been a professional actor, can you not say a movie is bad?
If you’ve never been a national politician, can you not say the president (current or former) is doing a poor job?

With that said, there are bad takes that can be refuted. Just don’t use the argument that someone doesn’t know because they haven’t been an athlete unless you use that standard for most other professions.

8 Likes

STFU with this nonsense. Fans don’t need to have played professional sports to be fans! Everyone is free to have their opinions.

4 Likes

He’s not saying you can’t have an opinion. It’s just that if you’ve played sports at a high level, you understand certain things that a non-athlete wouldn’t - ie 3 games in 3 days, thinking J’Wan would respond better to the injury, game plan not working, etc.

I’ve never waited tables. Even though I think I know what goes into it, I’m sure there’s a lot I don’t know too.

3 Likes

This is same whacky line of thinking where some automatically think if you played at a really high level or were the best player on your team you would make a good coach

What Chris said. Everyone has their opinion as a fan. I certainly have mine and don’t expect everyone to agree.

The point is, a lot of people don’t understand what it’s like to give 110% for 40 minutes without getting any rest for three days in a row. The players aren’t robots. At some point they’re arms and legs get tired after going balls out every minute on the court. That’s what Sampson demands. It’s the key ingredient to winning. However, with all the injuries, the starters are playing with a short bench, meaning no one gets to take a long rest, unlike ISU.

Comprende?

2 Likes

You are missing his point.

You can say what you want and be a fan all you want….but there are some situations where if you have not experienced yourself you don’t truly know what it’s like.
Being in a locker room after a disheartening loss is one of them….
Being able to compartmentalise a bad loss and still know how confident you are as team….that is another.

He’s not trying to be a jerk, he’s just saying that sometimes those who have experienced similar might “get it” a little better or have a better perspective.

2 Likes

Where did someone say this?
I didn’t see anything that said “you would make a good coach” .

I didn’t even see anyone infer that?

I played horse shoes at a high level in southern Arkansas. They called me the “Farrier Harrier”. It gave me a different perspective on things. Trust me. Injuries matter.

2 Likes

It’s not just that we are playing with a short bench it’s that we are so short in the front court. Also playing in 3 games in 3 days wears on that short bench. At least in the dance we will have a day between games.

Nothing is impossible for those who don’t have to perform the task.

3 Likes

So we got blown out, it happens to all great and gritty teams sooner or later. Much better yesterday than in the NCAA. The shots didn’t fall and we were hurting. Rest up guys, I think a long tourney run is in your near future.

1 Like

Lets gear up for the NCAA when it counts. Make Dallas “Fertitta North” if we can get past first weekend.