Projected 2019 Houston Cougars Depth Chart

I’m hopeful that the freshman LB from Pearland will play some early on.

I think it was by designed. Our base defense will be 4-2-5. The same one TCU used to run back in the day.

1 Like

The coaching will definitely be tested in year 1. With as little experience on the back end they need to be able to shut down, or slow down, the run. If they can’t teams will exploit that secondary big time. Of course the DLine is also young and inexperienced for the most part…thus we’ll see how much of a difference this new staff will make early on. It’s going to be interesting for sure…good or bad.

1 Like

I’m hoping the new staff on defense can dramatically improve our redzone D. I think that and being aggressive will come a long way even if we do give up 400 yards or more per game.

No 10 yard cushion in red zone will help.

3 Likes

One thing that is going to help us tremendously is CDC being able to teach our LBs proper gap assignment.(I’m convinced our former DC-Jack Daniels, spent little time “coaching” the linebackers he claimed to be over-seeing). That should make teams have to bounce the ball outside more.

Then hopefully our secondary guys can do their best Legion of Boom impersonation when they are called to come down hill. I think we’re going to be better than most give credit for. Not a lot of experience, but no freshmen or sophomores should be starting on defense which is a positive from a S&C standpoint.

Go Coogs!