Proud to be a Coog in 2022

Graduated in 2018 - witnessed the highs and the lows since then… but man… #6 in the AP for basketball, and #17 for football. We’re soon to be playing Big 12 sports!!!

What a time!!!

GO COOGS

21 Likes

…and it’s only the beginning my friend!!

GO COOGS!!

Class of '72

12 Likes

4 Likes

In before the “you don’t know what the lows are” posts! It is a good time to be a Coogfan though.

5 Likes

Be proud regardless of the rankings.

4 Likes

I’ve seen it all. Entered U of H in Sept. 57. BS JD Jan.63. I do believe we have an ordained, manifest destiny. I just want to live long enough to see it.

18 Likes

Enjoy the ride every one !
Class of 72 (Eng)

2 Likes

Is that you Brother Jim?

I have always been proud to be a Cougar, no matter how good or bad our teams were. Houston has accomplished more with less than any university or college in America. We have earned everything we’ve gotten-unlike a couple of laughable examples within 150 miles of our self-made Powerhouse.

13 Likes

There was a reason it states “IN TIME” on the school crest.

6 Likes

BBA 81 and JD 87….very proud and humbled. Every ounce of success I attribute to my parents, Kinkaid and UH…period.
These were my greatest teachers.

2 Likes

Well said Sir !
Go Coogs !

I bit more early UH history.

My father-in-law is 96 years old. He told me that back when he was in high school (circa 1941-42), he delivered things (early in the morning) to the UH campus before he went to high school. He told me that UH was teaching-training engineering or technology to U.S. Navy personnel at the time.

After he served in the Coast Guard in Puerto Rico during WWII, he attended UH where he studied architecture. When we drove thru the campus, he hardly recognized it but he asked me where the “horseshoe” street was. He said in his era, there were only 3 buildings on the campus. And based on his description, I think the old Science building hosted architecture, engineering & technology studies.

Back then i think the 3 buildings might have been (1) Ezekiel Cullen, (2) Roy Cullen and (3) the Science building. By his description, the “horseshoe” street must have come in off of Cullen (entrance #14) around the Science building, then by the Ezekiel Cullen building before turning back toward Cullen around the Roy Cullen building (entrance #13).

7 Likes

“Still … …”

I have always cherished my UH experiences and it gave me the tools necessary to achieve a lifetime of success. Love UH and all of its successes from integration of sports to athletic successes in the SWC and since. I’m equally proud of the academic successes - first public TV station in the nation, #1 rated undergraduate education program a few years ago, top law and business programs and now the cream- the College of Medicine. But, most importantly, is the immeasurable impact on thousands of lives beginning with WWII GI’s returning and the thousands of mostly blue collar and first generation college graduates striving to live the “American Dream”. The achievements , dreams and desire of our multi-cultural student body and the successes of UH match the dynamism of City of Houston. It is so appropriate that on our jerseys it say “HOUSTON”. We are Houston and Houston is US!

10 Likes

Originally (around 45/46) our law school was in Army barrack buildings (southwest of the U coming off Cullen).

Summer ‘67……trying to decide between ut and tt. Best friends going to each. Happened into Rodney’s in the village to update my Gant shirt and bass weejun collections. (Don’t judge). :sunglasses:. Salesman happened to be frat guy and invited me to a UH party. Had me at free beer. From there I met other rushees and went to other parties.

Long story short, one of the best summers ever. Ended up at UH for all the supposedly wrong reasons….partying, etc. Best wrong decision I ever made in my life. There was nothing better than UH late 60’s-early 70’s. Great education, saved a bunch of money and made life long friends. Lots to say for staying home and making a career in your home town.

2 Likes

I will always be a Cougar. No turning back

1 Like