Query: IF the Astros win it all

There’s only an asterisk if you buy into the narrative put out there by losers. No Astros fan should care what anyone else thinks.

Whatever you want to call it, the Astros have been baseball’s most dominant team over the last 6 years. The Dodgers are in the discussion, but their only title truly does have an asterisk, since they just won the 2020 COVID tournament after a partial season.

1 Like

Tell ESPN we aren’t a dynasty. Their writers are fawning over the Astros’ longevity in October. But a WS or two will make it even more awesome. A couple of trades and some negotiations and we’re back stronger next year.

Btw - maybe its time to try Diaz for a stint at DH.

1 Like

Diaz was DH for a couple of consecutive games, I think. He did nothing, so they tried another guy who did nothing.

Speaking of a Dynasty - maybe the Astros can go find Linda Evans & Joan Collins? j/k

1 Like

I would try Diaz again.

I think there is a better chance of Diaz coming through than Mancini….especially against velocity.

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting that we cut him or anything, but he and Mancini have been equally inept in the playoffs. Dusty going with Mancini in NY “because he knows the pitchers” made me laugh - he’s basically flipping a coin between two non-contributors.

Try Hensley

1 Like

One other thing to consider when comparing the Astros to some of the “dynasties” of the past is that none of those previous teams had to go through the expanded playoff gauntlet that exists now. It’s true that more teams make it in now, but that only benefitted the Astros in the goofy 2020 season.

It’s harder to get to the World Series now than it was before the field expanded. Still, nobody cares about 2nd place.

2 Likes

Phillies have their problems at the plate as well…

Rhys Hoskins 1B 11GP .182 BA
Alec Bohm 3B 11GP .189 BA
Brandon Marsh CF 10GP .154 BA
Matt Vierling CF 9GP 2 hits

I’d put our worst up against theirs. :laughing:

1 Like

This is an interesting discussion on the Astros’ multi-year run.

I don’t know……I read the entire thing earlier…… and it basically came down to ——umm, they are really good.

Don’t strike out much
Play excellent defensive
Pitchers are good and strike guys out

1 Like

I posted it more because of the first part, where they go into how the Astros have been the best team over the last decade, even considering the pre-2017 years.

1 Like

I get it……that’s cool.

The talking heads are finally starting to change the narrative a bit.

1 Like

When you build around pitching you win. That’s baseball. I fret a lot about hitting, but the truth is this franchise fields a helluva pitching staff every year.
We don’t have the dazzling lefty and our closer isn’t HOF material but the 4-5 guys on our team are usually top 3 on other ball clubs.

Gives the manager a lot of wiggle room.

4 Likes

Not sure that we have ever gone into the playoffs with this much quality pitching.
Presley scares me every time he comes in with a one run lead.
He normally adds to the excitement by giving up hits or walks before getting out of trouble.
But mercy he was amazing in his three saves against the Yankees.
I thought he should have been at least co-MVP.
McCullers struggled but gutted out five innings. I too expect him to improve in the WS.
Can’t wait for Friday

2 Likes

I am so ready for game 1 Friday! Unfortunately I am in Italy which requires me waking up in the middle of the night for the game.

Oh well!

In Pressly’s last 9 outings (9 1/3 IP), he’s given up 3 hits, 1 run and 8 saves. One of those innings was against the Phillies.

His 5 game postseason stats….

5.1 IP, 8 SO and a 0.75 WHIP.

2 Likes

Maldonado and Vasquez can really make the difference for us against the Phillies’ bats. I’m sure those guys have been going to school over the last week to come up with a game plan to cool them off.

1 Like

For the good of America, Stros need to win it all lol

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1585650041930268672?s=46&t=wdw9Ehphi7ZxKBOYm-jqLg

6 Likes