Recruiting discussion: "Diamonds in the Rough"

C’mon now, let’s be real. The reasons that Ed came to UH were that (1) his brother was here, (2) his HS coach was here, and (3) the UH head coach lied to him about his future at UH.

Anyone that thinks or expects that all of these circumstances will be repeated again within the next decade is either extremely optimistic or delusional.

2 Likes

WoodMarkCos, your statement is valid, but within the next decade realignment will occur and if UH becomes a P5 then I’m quite sure UH will have a few 5 star athletes on its roster. Until then we will be heavily relegated to 2 and 3 stars and transfers. With all planets aligned, we possibly could get a 5 star.

I was more making the point that you used Allen as a 5 star recruit example. I used him as an example of a recruit that was struggling at his current school than transferred to UH for another chance. Redshirt freshmen that get home sick and decide to come back to Houston or starters for P5 schools that have graduated and want to come play for Houston are good. Transfers that were given a shot and couldn’t make it and think UH is the easier path to starting, don’t often work out regardless of their rating coming out of high school.

I’ll take highly rated jucos over high school stars that washed out in P5 any day.

1 Like

So we do want 5 star guys?

had herman stayed him pretty sure we could have gotten a 5 star. look at all the big time recruits we were in the running for when he was here.

“Diamonds in the rough” gave us our best season in years. What have we gotten out of Herman’s great recruiting classes?

3 Likes

Can you really blame recruits on a predictable offense and bland defense? Not to mention they were all freshman and sophomores last year.

this!

Diamonds in the rough produced Bowser, Ayers, Jackson, farrow, Erob, etc…so I’m ok with those as long as coach has a feel of what talent they are looking for.

2 Likes

LOL Bowser and Ayers werent diamonds in the rough…they both had p5 schools going after them.

We got Applewhite as a coach, so there is that.

Let’s all remember that Herman’s two recruiting classes were right after he was the OC on a national championship team and right after we won the Peach Bowl. Therefore his recruiting classes were probably not negatively impacted by the product on the field.

1 Like

So did Farrow. In fact, all 3 of them were P5 commits at one point.

1 Like

Were they committed to other schools? I don’t remember

bowser decommited from ok st. ayers decommited from washington st.

1 Like

Farrow from Colorado.

2 Likes

Applewhite’s first class was coming off a big win season and 2 years removed from the Peach Bowl as the OC.

Definitely. The two big time wins were great and should have been a boon for recruiting. The downside is that it was also the season that the supposed “superstar hc” left, b12 did not expand, and we had a really bad result in Vegas (could be a recruits initial impression of CMA as a hc).

1 Like

Can we end this lame thread already…it no longer has anything to do with the thread title

3 Likes

We will first need to sign more brothers like Marcus Oliver so their younger brothers will want to follow them to UH. LTH is credited with recruiting EO, when he himself siad he was going to UH as soon as CTL signed Marcus.

2 Likes