Recruiting discussion: "Diamonds in the Rough"

Farrow from Colorado.

2 Likes

Applewhite’s first class was coming off a big win season and 2 years removed from the Peach Bowl as the OC.

Definitely. The two big time wins were great and should have been a boon for recruiting. The downside is that it was also the season that the supposed “superstar hc” left, b12 did not expand, and we had a really bad result in Vegas (could be a recruits initial impression of CMA as a hc).

1 Like

Can we end this lame thread already…it no longer has anything to do with the thread title

3 Likes

We will first need to sign more brothers like Marcus Oliver so their younger brothers will want to follow them to UH. LTH is credited with recruiting EO, when he himself siad he was going to UH as soon as CTL signed Marcus.

2 Likes

You may cease reading anytime you wish.

Thanks for the advice…but I clicked on the thread looking for information on our new commit but had to scroll all the way up before I got any

1 Like

We really don’t know how CMA’s first class will do until they are at least juniors. We do know that we lost a host of NFL quality players and had a problem coming to grips with who should be QB and the 5* transfer was not the best for our system. In addition,our OC and OL coach were at odds and our offense suffered (as did our fans, I might add). But, after a one year learning curve, I think we will be resurgent this fall.

For our fans to think that we have some kind of inherent right to be the conference champ is unfounded. Despite all those who say this is a crappy conference, the AAC has some very good teams and winning the championship is not all that easy. Or as “Coach” used to say, “thay give scholarships too.”

2 Likes

Disagree.

Recruiting can be a fickle thing. High stars sometimes just do not pan out, and then there are diamonds in the rough. Even great recruiters sometimes make mistakes. Give me the hard nosed kid with football smarts who is internally motivated all day long. Frankly, the uncertainity of how it all comes together is one of the things I love about college sports.
AAC is a very good conference. As much as I want to get to a P5, I am content here at the moment. I am predicting 10 wins this year only because going unbeaten is so darn hard. We have the ability to win them all if we come ready to play each week, execute, and don’t have too many mistakes. Just hope that the loss(es) do not keep us out of the conference championship game.

That isn’t really an excuse though. It’s like Leach hiring an OC, firing him after one game, promoting a RB coach to OC and then Leach fans blaming the coordinators for the problems. Applewhite did have complete autonomy when hiring his first staff right? Obviously not so much when hiring Briles.

2 Likes

Moved this to a new topic as @Xincoog made a good point about how the discussion had veered away from what the thread was about.

I don’t always agree with Shaggylives, but I agree on this one. I don’t know if it has gotten better but I remember a stat from a few years ago that showed 50% of 5 stars not doing much in college. Either way, contrary to what they would like us believe, there is no drop from P5 to the AAC other than a few elite teams, and I am not sure about that. If a kid could not make it where he was, most likely he will not be that great here either. Much rather have a stud JC player than a 5 star transfer. We have seen it play out several times now.

Actually I can when I see freshmen and sophomores leading teams to an invitational championship game and winning the invitational game. Yep I am talking about Alabama.

Before you hit me with the but we are not Alabama crap, answer me this, who is getting all the preseason accolades. A senior center who was not recruited by Herman and a junior defensive lineman who was coming here regardless because his father told him he was going to school with his older brother. So I am waiting to see where Herman’s higher ranked recruits are making a big difference.

1 Like

If you’re talking about Will Noble, he signed in Herman’s first class although I think he was committed before Herman was hired. AAC preseason list below:

Will Noble - Herman but first committed to Levine
Ed Oliver - Herman but special circumstance as mentioned
Josh Jones - Herman
Jerard Carter - Levine
Deontay Anderson - Applewhite
Isaiah Chambers - Applewhite
Emeke Egbule - Herman but first committed to Levine
Garrett Davis - Levine
Caden Novikoff - Applewhite
Dane Roy - Herman

Yeah forget the “Alabama” argument after bring up Alabama for comparison right?

Based on ESPNs rankings
Tug ranked 57th 2017
Najee ranked 11th 2017
Mack ranked 34th 2016

These the ones you were referring to? Alabama recruited 15 top 50 players in the nation the last two years and several of them were starters and making an impact by the second half of the season. I think you will find of our top 15 recruited players the last two years, we had just as many starting by the second half of the season.

That isn’t even to mention, 2015 Tom had two weeks between the national championship game and signing day. 2017 he took a few of his top recruits with him and a couple of other schools scavenged other top recruits. 2016 was Tom’s only full recruiting class.

In order of ESPN ranking
Ed Oliver - projected top 5 NFL pick
Naty Rogers (JC) - started every game
D’Eriq King - starting QB once healthy
Courtney Lark - 4 of last 5 games
Mulbah Car - second leading rusher

others of note
Keith Corbin - played in 11 games/started 5
Terrell Williams (JC) - started 12 games
Keenan Murphy - played in 2 games
Terry Mark - played in 12 games
Aymiel Fleming - played in 11 games
Ka’Darian Smith - played in 10 games
Braylon Jones - started 12 games
Alex Leslie - played in 12 games, started 6

Injured:
Marquez Stevenson
Collin Wilder - played two games, injured … now transferring out.

Not sure if Allen and Catalon transfers counted against 2016 class so not including them.

What percent of our projected starters for 2018 are from Herman’s only full recruiting class of 2016?

I dispute that 50% of 5 stars don’t pan out and counter that 4 and 5 Star players make more of an impact on a team than lower starred players.

Yes we got Keenum but I’m pretty sure that 4 and 5 Star players would keep us in the top of the country, not just the conference, more consistently than a diamond in the rough every few years. Unless you’re a bad coach and mishandle the 5 Star players you land.

The ones who are 5 stars and play like 5 stars definitely make an impact. Just saying 4 to 5 out of 10 every year or just another average college football player or less.

That I’ll agree with you to a point. But considering 50% of 5 star players go on to the NFL, having a roster of 5 stars is better than 2 stars from whom you hope to get a diamond.

A higher percentage of 5 stars are successful vs. 4 star and on down the line. There are no guarantees in anything but your odds of success go up with higher ranked classes. That said, coaching, culture, and scheme matter and there are some great recruiters that kill it in that area but fail overall.