Redshirt Tracker (Updated through regular season)

So these 5 can play the rest of the season now with no risk of burning their redshirt, even if we make the championship game. Doesn’t mean that they will, but the option is there now.

so Tune played #3 tonight and probably #4 upcoming against Memphis - means he will probably lose the redshirt in the bowl game or AAC Championship game.

Updated with participation from Tulane game. So. CB DJ Small played in his 5th game, so he is ineligible to redshirt in 2018. DE Willie Smith played in his 4th game, so he will be one to watch for the rest of the season. Any more playing time for him and his redshirt will be burned.

1 Like

Updated through the end of the regular season. So the freshman who have now used a year of eligibility are DE Logan Hall, DE Willie Smith, LB Donovan Mutin, LB Zamar Kirven, and TE Christian Trahan.

Two guys will use this year’s eligibility if they play in the bowl game: OL Max Banes, and QB Clayton Tune, a situation which will obviously be discussed ad nauseam for the next few weeks. All other players listed can play in the bowl game with no eligibility repercussions, including grad transfer QB Quentin Dormady. Dormady did not use a redshirt year at Tennessee, and it is my understanding that he has informed the coaching staff that he would like to preserve this year’s eligibility and move on to another school next season.

If I were the staff, I would think long and hard about starting Dormady in the bowl game. Doing this preserves an entire year for Clayton Tune, which could be valuable down the road. It also provides a showcase for Dormady to potential schools for next year, if he indeed does decide to leave.

1 Like

Don’t think I’d play Banes either. Need those OL to stay as long as they can.

I would imagine the coaches will ask Tune whether he wants to lose the redshirt or not. Knowing that you can’t count on what will happen in the latter part of your college career, he might want to have a chance to start a bowl game.

it’s entirely possible that he doesn’t get this chance again either because someone better comes along or his own injuries–it happens all the time.

Also, Tune can still redshirt next year or a later year. If King stays healthy all of next year, he will start the entire season. And a combination of Bryson Smith and freshman Williams can pick up the clean up time, just like the intended to do with Tune and Dormady this year.

I expect Tune will happily start the bowl game and they’ll try to get the redshirt year back next year.

I like this idea. As much as I hate to see the young man lose a year of eligibility, I think you let him and his family make that decision.

I’ll throw in JD’s article:

Hopefully he can redshirt next year. My guess is they are a lot more cautious about how many games he plays in.

1 Like

Is Tune that much better than Dormady? The result of the bowl game this year is minimal. No 10 win season on the line. We’re not getting ranked win or lose.

Looks like Jakori Morgan isn’t at the bowl game:

https://twitter.com/SIT_FOOTBALL/status/1075446696354725888

Played in four games or less and can still use redshirt

Offensive lineman Max Banes (4 games)
Wide receiver Peyton Sawyer (2 game)
Wide receiver Julon Williams (2 games)
Running back Kelan Walker (2 games)
Offensive lineman Kameron Lewis (1 game)
Wide receiver Ja’Kori Morgan (1 game)
Defensive end Tahj Brown (1 game)
Defensive back Jonathan Phenix (1 game)
Wide receiver Henry Thomas (1 game)
Offensive lineman Jack Freeman (1 game)
Tight end Spencer Wells (Did not play)
Defensive back Garrison Vaughn (Did not play)

Definitely glad all the offensive linemen and Tahj Brown were able to redshirt. I wish Willie Smith could have as well. He’s an interior DL but was playing at about 240. Logan Hall could have used one as well, but he came on a little like Payton Turner as a frosh. I do think those young DL are going to be really good in time, and I look for Max Banes to be a 3-4 year starter for us.

1 Like

I feel like Tune losing the redshirt this year makes it that much more a priority for Bryson to be the backup QB next season. Not only should Bryson get more game time experience to show what he can do as a QB before the competition in 2020 but the backup should be available to play more than 5 games when the season starts.

2 Likes

I’ll trust CDH to make personnel & playing decisions at QB & other positions - each and every year.

Starting with the “i trust” stuff already? lol Flash backs to Applewhite, Levine and multiple AD “trust” comments.

All decisions will be perfect from here on out Coogfans. No reason to speculate, discuss or scrutinize any decisions made by athletics from now through the distant future. Please only post comments that are supportive of decisions already made.

3 Likes

I know some of you have been pumping Bryson a lot; but I really haven’t seen it when he has been in at QB. When Ward was a WR and would occasionally get in at QB, he would wow with his play. With Bryson, not so much; I don’t understand the drumbeat from you guys.

His passing was 2-5-1 for 25 yards and 1 TD. Rushing he was better at 19 carries for 79 net yards for a 4.15 YPC average – good, but nothing close to King. However, I don’t think Holgerson wants a run first QB.

1 Like

Almost as bad as the anguish over if Tune played in Bowl gm he would lose a year of eligibility…pleassee. B4 that gm and now I dont see anywhere close that he will be a QB that will take program to 10-11 win season. Just don’t see the arm strength that’s needed to throw the deep or tough passes consistantly. Jmo.

Case didn’t have the arm strength as a RS FR And he developed OK. I think bigger issue with Tune is pulling the trigger early enough. His decision making was slow and it resulted in ball arriving after or near when the window had closed.

1 Like