RIP - Dickey Betts

One of the best to ever do it. Sad day.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/other/guitarist-dickey-betts-co-founder-of-allman-brothers-band-dead-at-80/ar-AA1ngfrk

2 Likes

Definitely a sad day!!

As a long time rock fan, it’s sobering to see the classic rock legends pass away.

The first time I saw the Allman Brothers was in 1971. The Allman Brothers opened the concert, followed by ZZ Top, then the featured group Quicksilver Messager Service.

The Allman Brothers and ZZ Top were better performers than QMS.

Looking forward to the following rock concerts: The Rolling Stones, Stone Temple Pilots + LIVE and Def Leppard.

4 Likes

Saw Betts and the Allman Brothers at Hofeinz back in the day. One of the best concerts ever. “Jessica” is such a great song.

2 Likes

I saw them in the early 90’s in the Woodlands. They were the headliners of a blues festival that included Robert Cray, BB King, Buddy Guy, and others. It was an awesome day.

My favorite ABB song has always been Dreams. My heart rate lowers, my blood pressure gets back to normal, and it just soothes my soul.

1 Like

Saw the ABB a couple of times once Right after Enlightened Rouges and then after Seven Turns always great shows. But the best when I saw Dickey Betts as solo artist at Rockefeller’s.

Hope you are jammin again with Barry and Skydog RIP Dickey Betts!!

1 Like

Damn
I miss Rockefellers. Saw some great acts there, including John Prine, Emmy Lou Harris, SRV, Cowboy Junkies, and Roy Orbison off the top of my head.

3 Likes

*The Drum Solo Goes on Forever *
– Jeppesen Stadium and the Allman Brothers
In the summer of 1974, I was a year into high school, and itching for action, crowds, and noise. Big concert venues were still all the rage, so I got my fill with two.

Both venues were at Jeppesen Stadium, a solid Romanesque structure on the campus of the University of Houston. On June 30, three bands appeared, the Allman Brothers filling the top spot in the middle of summer in Houston. Hot, humid, sticky Houston.

We arrived under the broiling sun. It was festival seating, so first-come, first-plop-yourself-down. We threw a blanket on the ground around the forty-yard line and sat through the first two bands. The sun reached the horizon, and the ‘bros took the stage. Long playlist, ending with . . . Whatever song features a drum solo. All of them? Well, pick one. The Allman Brothers is one of – well, the ONLY band - with two drummers. When one gets tired, the other takes over.

This solo went on and on and on and and . . . say, why don’t we beat the stampede and leave now? We exited, found our car amid the hundreds and drove away. The drum solo was STILL going!

Jeppesen Stadium no longer exists, but every time I drive past, I swear that drum solo is still in progress.

1 Like