Saban's quote kinda sums it up

Well, all the things that I believed in for all these years, 50 years of coaching, no longer exist in college athletics,” Saban said. “So it always was about developing players. It was always about helping people when you’re successful in life.”

His wife even spoke on the difficulties with NIL, saying, “All they care about is how much you’re going to pay them.'”

no more student athletes, just mercenaries

5 Likes

No that doesn’t really sum it up. This more accurately sums it up.

Two months removed from announcing his retirement, Saban offered a thundering message to the college sports world: Pay the players — but with limitations . “I’m for student-athletes being able to share in some of this revenue,”.

1 Like

Unless he’s willing to come coach at the University of Houston, or any other institution with a lower budget, he’s a hypocrite and good riddance.

11 Likes

We already have a coach, thank you. He isn’t a hypocrite, just telling it like it is. When he was at Bama he had the resources and the reputation to reel in good players. I’m sure they probably got some kind of money under the table from alums – like at most places in the country or at least the SEC – but not this whole blatant buying players.

I agree with this. College football players are free agents at the end of every season. Coaches are not only having to recruit new players with NIL to come to their school, but also recruit current players to stay at the school with NIL. Probably easier done for the P2 schools who can recruit with the university name alone. But retention for a college football coach should be fairly simple, win games. However, you’re now worrying about your players ditching you every season for that check. Removing the 2x transfer limit is what’s going to add to that problem, I think.

He doesn’t complain when he gets paid.

6 Likes

Make the NIL contracts for multiple years.

1 Like

P2 will have problem because not everyone will be able to play. Guess what those players are going to do if they don’t play, go elsewhere. To other programs in the CFB. Just like there doing now.

He says all of this while making upwards of $11million a year and appearing in national commercials racking up more $$$. But yes, all the kids care about is money…

8 Likes

If he isnt a hypocrite, then he’ll be teaching at a University for a lot less money. Why not make it an Ivy League where the The coaches are paid a lot less and the students athletes don’t get paid At all. Otherwise, yes, he is a hypocrite after he raked in millions of dollars and then calls out the athletes for wanting The same.

1 Like

Maybe at 72, he’s just tired of the hassle of it all. I was 72 when I retired. One day I just got off my daily call to the Mumbai office and said to myself “I’m tired of this crap.” I went to my manager’s office and said I was taking 5 weeks of vacation, then come back and retire that day. And I did.

6 Likes

If he’s truly tired of the football rat race, then more power to him, and everyone deserves to retire. I retired once and came out of retirement because I missed the grind. So I understand the feeling of being burnt out.

But if he’s retiring, because he doesn’t want to compete with nil After raking in millions in a closed coaching system, then that’s different.

Nick Saban is mad because he can’t just use cars from his dealerships to bribe elite recruits to come to Bama anymore.

They want money, cars, the starting job, and playing time.

1 Like

I’m ready for the NIL deals to be multi-year have guaranteed money and incentives like the NFL deals.

1 Like

CFB coaches == mercenaries (for years now)

Seems pretty simple.

Not possible.

NIL is not paid for by a direct entity.

The NFL pays salaries. NCAA/Conferences do not pay salaries.

Saban needs to be grateful that UH beat LSU in 1999 to where they fired their head coach and hired him.

3 Likes

That’s what contracts are for. We’re headed for collective bargaining in college football anyway, so contracts can be a part of that.

How exactly would that work?

Players can leave at-will via the portal.

NFL Players can’t just get up and leave.