Sam Khan let go by ESPN

Quite a mistake by ESPN. Sam did a great job for them and for the Chronicle as well, when he was writing for them. Even after leaving the chron, he wrote very good articles about the Coogs. Hopefully he will land on his feet soon!

https://twitter.com/skhanjr/status/1350216669243826176?s=21

6 Likes

He’ll land on his feet.

6 Likes

The Athletic could use him hands down

3 Likes

ESPN is dumping costs as much as they can.

8 Likes

Maybe one of the local stations will pick him up.

I know how they can dump $15 Mil per year !!

5 Likes

Yet the Longhorn Network remains on the air.

5 Likes

I would hope that whoever signed that deal at ESPN was canned long ago !

5 Likes

Tilman strikes again.

1 Like

If Holgorsen had a 17-3 record, a NY6 game, Sam would have had plenty to write about . ESPN is forecasting Coog football will continue to suck. Isn’t this Tillman’s fault too :crazy_face:

1 Like

We’re gonna be merda for awhile boys.

1 Like

Tough times. Always pretty thorough in his reporting.

Wish him well in his future.

1 Like

We are all rooting for you Sam! He has been a great UH ambassador.

7 Likes

Never know. Change is opportunity if you can use the momentum of change to deflect where it leads.

2 Likes

He’s an excellent sports journalist. He’s not going to have trouble finding something else.

3 Likes

True that. I got laid off and 4 years later was making double what I was at my previous employer.

2 Likes

Hell we were lucky ESPN let him write the UH content he was able to, given his main beat was A&M

2 Likes

ESPN dumping low cost talent to save money? I don’t know what Sam Khan was making but I can’t imagine it’s over $100,000.

A quick search lead me to this article, maybe a bit outdated, it’s from April 2020: Who Is the Highest-Paid ESPN Personality and How Much Do They Make?

According to the article, Stephen A Smith is the highest paid ESPN personality at $8 million/year – and they point out that is double what Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes makes.

I think ESPN (and the world) would be better served to cut Stephen A Smith’s salary in half to save the jobs of 40 Sam Khan’s.

4 Likes

Have you ever noticed that when companies start layoffs to cut costs, it’s the everyday worker bees that get cut. The execs and high profile guys get raises.

7 Likes

Of course, they’re the guys saving the company money! What geniuses they are!

1 Like