Scott Frost / Nebraska doing it the right way

Sure, I’d like to see Colorado and N back in the B12. The Kansas schools just
don’t have any appeal to me as a destination game. But to read about that
rivalry “was the longest non-interrupted rivalry in college football history at 105 straight games” is
stunning ; so much lost and thrown away. OTOH Nebraska isn’t on my bucket list of places to visit
every 2 years or so either.

But the N on the helmet stands for nowledge.

What really hurt Nebraska is when the Big XII restricted partial qualifiers. I don’t think the B1G allows them at all.

If you would have told me in1979 that there would be a time when Texas, Nebraska, UCLA and USC would all suck at the same time I would never have believed it. Anything can happen.

1 Like

…or Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Wisconsin?

1 Like

Guys, guys, the only thing that’s keeping Nebraska from having a successful football program is the lack of funding from UT’s PUF. Share the PUF UT! And sell the land!

2 Likes

Solich was winning 10 games per year, he had to go. Bo Pelini was winning 9 games per year. He had to go. Frost is winning 5 games per year, extend him.

He better be hitting the portal hard and also come up with some good coaches.

2 Likes

“I have stated my opinion on this many times - alumni generally don’t make great coaches”

Attend to agree. Alumni I believe just don’t seem to workout Coaching or Admin wise. Academic institution as rule don’t like for people to get their MA , Phd from the same University. Inbreeding like biologically creates weaker progeny. By the way what’s Pez doing as AD marketing wise to get fans to come to the games.

The days of Nebraska winning championships are over. Their faith was sealed when they moved to the Big 10. Enjoy the money and the loses.

1 Like

Wonder if UT will suffer the same fate.

They have some deep seated problems. Culturally. Hard to change that

would you prefer UH get $30M / yr and win championships in the B12 or get $95M / yr and be a bottom dweller in the SEC?

The old Paradise Lost question.

I guess UT is going to find out. Of course, maybe Oklahoma is the one that should be asking that question, not UT.

1 Like

AAU, AAU and the BIG10.
What headlines has the BIG10 produced in the last 10+ years?

penentiary state
Do you remember that monster that went unpunished for 30 + years with the entire town, police department and university knowing it?

michigan state rape doctor
Remember just a few weeks ago when close to the entire U.S. women’s gymnast Olympic team went and testified to congress against msu and the FBI?

michigan rape doctor
How many ex players are now coming out of the woodwork?

Come on now. The BIG10 leaders have been helping, yes helping criminals go unpunished for decades and the BIG10 is concerned about Nebraska AAU status?

2 Likes

Sure they are.

As I said. Getting kicked out of the AAU has made Nebraska an academic pariah!

Elitism is what it’s all about!

You forgot The Ohio State and their rape doctor too.

1 Like

Yes this is truly unbelievable that all of the major BIG10 marquee schools are involved in these despicable acts.
AAU they care. Rape they encouraged. This is what the BIG10 is now known for.
The truth is that all of it have been swept under the rug. How many media outlets kept the stories alive?
None.
The US gymnast Olympic team got some air time due to the Olympics not far removed. Since then?
Crickets.

Proud (and currently suffering) Nebraska alum here. To say Nebraska is a “pariah” for not being in the AAU is complete rivalry bunk. Would it be good to be the only B1G school not in AAU? Of course. But here are the facts. Nebraska lost status because of two reasons. 1. They are a land-grant institution and a lot of their research justifiably goes to agricultural research which the AAU doesn’t factor in. Ahh, but many other B1G schools are also land-grant and they are in AAU, you say. 2. The Nebraska Medical School is not run through Lincoln “the football school”, but Omaha “the commuter school”. The AAU considers Medical Schools in its membership. So although there is a Medical School in the Nebraska system and is higher rated than a decent handful of B1G medical schools tied to their flagship campus, the AAU doesn’t really care. So to say Nebraska is a 'Pariah", get outta here! As 92010 said, PSU Michigan and Michigan State (And I would also argue Ohio State) have placed FAR worse stains on the B1G outside of athletics than Nebraska’s AAU status.

As for the football team. I still blame Steve Pederson, the AD who fired Frank Solich for Bill Callahan. They both killed the culture that Nebraska needs due to its location. Bo Pelini had to be fired. 9 wins is great, but he was paranoid and toxic when he was fired. It was him against the world. That’s great when “Him” is your school vs outside forces, but for Bo, it was literally just Bo. Bo against the fans, administration, media, everyone. Which led our awful AD to go the other direction and hire the Mr. Rogers of coaching, Mike Riley. That dug Nebraska further deeper. Frost inherited a complete mess. We all expected more after four years and this year has been beyond frustrating especially (0-4 vs teams currently in the top 10 by a combined 21 points), but there is hope and promise. (There has to be, right. I mean we are all irrationally emotional for our schools to some degree!) GBR! Go Coogs!

3 Likes

They can get good enough to win the West, then worry about the foes in the East. Everyone in Nebraska is a fan. You could say that isn’t a ton of people, but they really are Nebraska’s team. Everyone wants to see them succeed even if they graduated from Nebraska Wesleyan or another school in-state. Players pick up on that vibe and it is an intangible that matters in recruiting and retention.

It will be interesting to follow how this all plays out. Frost has to hire an OC while Frost’s buyout in 2022 was cut in half to $7.5M. Unless an OC he likes becomes available, it will be risky for an OC to leave a current position to take the Nebraska role since it could be one and done. That leaves mostly position coaches looking for that one chance to show the world.

I think you nailed it. He may be forced to look to FCS level to find that gem everyone else is overlooking. Will be interesting to watch the drama unfold.