SFAC vs Khator at BoR meeting

University of Houston students face off against administrators over how to…

1 Like

All the students are saying is that since UH will make substantially more money each year as a Big 12 member, could student fees be reduced some…That is a sensible and not unreasonable request.

8 Likes

" everything is about rank. Not everything is about bringing the name of the school to a national level.”

Yes it is…will make their degree and other graduates from.this more valuable to potential employee’s. Little do they know.

6 Likes

I agree with this. The students should be interested in rank of the school. BUt they also have a point that too much of the student fees are going to athletics. The budget should be spent on anything that will increase the ranking of the different colleges at UH

2 Likes

I have an idea for all of the students complaining about this.
What about organizing a march to Austin to demand that the PUF be opened to all Texas public universities? How many students could make this march? You want to make an impact? I could easily see 15k students in front of Capitol. That is a statement. All of the tv networks would talk about it.

14 Likes

Excellent idea. But they aren’t they rather pee on our admin than take the state to task on the PUF matter

1 Like

I am frankly sick and tired about complaining for something that U of H has had to work tirelessly to get done. These students don’t like it. Again organize a march to Austin and get the PUF opened to us. You want to lead and make an impact? Do it men!!!

3 Likes

The PUF is irrelevant to this discussion of student funds going to athletics.

That’s like picketing football games to protest against tenured professorships. Pointless and stupid.

2 Likes

I bet even with big12 money we’re still somewhere towards the bottom of P4 when it comes to athletics revenue. Doesn’t make sense to reduce it. Especially when we’re playing catchup in facilities, etc for the next 5-6 years when there might be another realignment or shift

1 Like

Finances issues are always related to the PUF. Regardless is these students could care less about U of H.

2 Likes

No.

But if you believe it’s true, why are you posting here and trying to tell the students how their money should be spent instead of protesting in Austin. If you’re gonna talk about it, be about it.

1 Like

These students are the same ones that could care less about sports or U of H. I betcha very few if none of them are going to games. They are voicing their opinions as if it is part of an ulterior agenda. This money allocated to sports is not new. It has been going on for years and rightfully so. They don’t like it? Why don’t they go somewhere else. I am sure they will complain there too. Bunch of winners/wan.ers they are and I am being polite.

3 Likes

Yeah, exactly - a competitive athletics program in a top tier conference is actually hugely important to the value of the degree - even if in certain immeasurable ways.

When these students graduate - and the ones that actually go out and get professional jobs in corporate america, consulting firms, law firms, etc., etc. — they will spend the next 30 years at work lunches and work dinners either being able to participate in the sports related / “big school” conversation [if UH stays relevant and winning in Big 12]… or not [if we revert back to the CUSA years].

Short-sighted and dumb to not understand the value and return on investment on the “athletics” spend. Thankfully we have leaders, admin, BoD that does.

They are talking about UH [because of basketball] every night on ESPN national TV … ESPN and other national websites routinely have UH stories, pictures, etc. front and center. So stupid to not understand the value of that to the school’s stature and reputation.

7 Likes

These are nimrods. It is a challenge to reason with nimrods.

Why do you assume they “don’t understand” that? They’re asking that a PART of their funding be reduced for next year, largely because athletics wasn’t transparent about how the money was/will be spent. They aren’t trying to eliminate funding for athletics, at least not at this point.

If the AD had made some effort to incorporate the previously-agreed terms into the spending plan and explained that, this would be a non-issue.

This failure is on the AD, not the students. In fact, if you rewind a couple of years, you’ll find that the very same “leaders” who are pushing back on this were claiming that reliance on student fees would diminish with B12 funds. But I’m sure they just meant “someday” and that the AD should not be held accountable for a lack of transparency.

Honestly, if the students aren’t going to have any say or power of review over these funds, why pretend like they have a voice? Everyone would be cool with that, right?

6 Likes

The Board of Regents sent them all back to the negotiating table, which makes it clear that they aren’t satisfied with the way the administration has handled this.

Agree in principle. Problem is, I don’t think we’ve received a dime of Big 12 money yet, and I don’t think we’ll get a full share for three years or so.

This might be an issue better addressed when that time comes. Seems premature now.

5 Likes

I agree that this is probably a couple of years too soon. This could have been avoided if the AD had made an effort to resolve it instead of just giving them THE HAND.

2 Likes

Come on now be objective. How many of these students actually go to games?

1 Like

This is correct we had a thread on Pez’s presentation last month. He might as well have said “Shut up and gimme money! Ding Ding Ding”

It was bush league and the students are right to punish him for it.

5 Likes