Shead 1st Team All-Time UH Team?

Hell i think i would excel as a point guard with that line up :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Didn’t Rob play in the phillipines? I remember he had the best limo in the whole country. Foreign limos matter.

Dwight Davis had a better UH career but no question Clyde was a better NBA player.

Both were fun to watch.

1 Like

He would have to come back another year.

Show loyalty above money.

Really like Shead, but since watching the Coogs since 64, I have seen them all and I have to go with Dunbar, but not by much.

2 Likes

Sweet Lou Dunbar, a 6’9" G in the early 1970s, was a complete mismatch for opponents. According to his Wiki page, Sweet Lou averaged 22.3 pts, 7.7 rebs, and 4.1 asts per game at UH. As I recall, Lou started as a F, but GVL moved him to guard because of his ball handling skills and and his shooting range.

At UH, Rob Williams averaged 20.0 pts, 2.5 rebs, and 4.6 asts. Definitely the flashiest guard UH ever produced. Rob was a highly recruited local kid, graduated from Milby, and coached by TABC HOF Coach Boyce Honea.

I will hold off on citing Jamal Shead’s UH career stats, since it is not over, but I will say that of the three mentioned, Shead is the best team leader and on-court coach and does the best at maximizing his skills. And he is still getting better.

3 Likes

740 assists, none from the PG? Hmm…

No in fact people used to call Reid the point forward.

Reid was never the point guard, Alvin was.

Reid was great. No one in Coog history would you want on the line with game in doubt than Reid. In fact we don’t get to the Final
four in 82 without Reid hitting the free throws against Missouri.

Reid was a lot of great things but he wasn’t a point guard.

By the way the Houston v Mizzou game in 1982 is largely forgotten but should be in our top 10 games of all time.

Iirc correctly, I’m pretty sure Reid hit those FT’s against Boston College. He went for like 10/10 or something very close t9 that. I just remember BC for some reason.

2 Likes

Very interesting. Seems like that would have been a very interesting team to have watched first hand.

When Reid was shooting free throws, he would wipe his hands on his socks to dry them. At a game this past season, I asked him if he still did & he told me he could no longer reach them.

10 Likes

Give me Jamal as PG all day every day.

No offense to Reid, he could ball, but Jamal carried this team.

I don’t even want to think what Shead could do with PSJ’s lineup. It takes me to a happy place.

It is hard to evaluate All-Time teams because of the 3 Point line.

changed the game.

There needs to be two All time teams.

One before the three-point game and one after

That might change your opinions

5 Likes

Shead definitely has a claim to all-time best, definitely over Williams, and I think over Dunbar as well. Dunbar was flashy but not a great ball handler. Senior year 3.6 assists to 2.8 turnovers. Ugh. Shead is a classic point guard, really built for the position.
But we shouldn’t forget Don “Duck” Chaney. Dude took the team to the final four twice (alongside the Big E, of course), and then was the point guard in one of the Boston Celtics’ championships.

8 Likes

George Reynolds was the point guard on the '67 and '68 teams.

2 Likes

I’m still upset that George Reynolds was ruled ineligible right before the 1968 NCAA Tournament.

2 Likes

Clearly, moving the three points line back changed the game completely. Did it change it for better or worse? That’s up to debate. But until we have a Coogs team reaching the finals I will always go with these players. Jamal is an amazing leader and who knows how he would have done in the early 80’s. Anyhow it is really impossible to judge from one era to the next.

absolutely correct. darn, i totally spaced reynolds out. funny that chaney played point for the celts but not uh. but didn’t he play point freshman and soph years? i used to sit on the front row of that little high school gym where the coogs played in those days and watch them go. just had to get there early.

Delmar Fieldhouse.

1 Like