Shead 1st Team All-Time UH Team?

It’s obviously between him and Rob Williams. Rob was more gifted as a player, an amazing passer and shooter. But Shead is a winner. I don’t recall Rob being a finalist for the Naismith Award.

I dunno. Close call. I think the others are pretty obvious:
C Akeem
PF Big E
F Clyde (some do like Dwight Davis)
SG Birdsong
PG ???

4 Likes

I’m not sure I’m ready to give Jamal the nod over Reid Gettys. We win this thing, and perhaps, but Gettys has all the records pretty much.

3 Likes

Reid never started at point guard. Alvin Franklin did.

3 Likes

Yes

All due respect to Rob, who was an amazing talent, but Shead wins on character and leadership. He makes everyone around him better.

27 Likes

After seeing every point guard since the mid 60s, it’s Jamal. Hands down.

16 Likes

Rob Williams is the best and most exciting point guard to play at UH.
That said if I’m building an all Cougar team I’m taking Shead as my starter.
I hav said it before, put junior or senior Shead on those 81-84 teams and we probably have that title we all drool over

12 Likes

Lou Dunbar…man was a Magic Johnson before the world knew there was a Magic Johnson.

Akeem 7’
Big E 6"9
Clyde 6’7"
Birdsong 6’4"
Lou feeding the ball controlling the point at 6’9"

4 Likes

Sweet Lou.

One of my favorite players ever from UH!!

7 Likes

Lou Dunbar played for the Harlem Globetrotters after UH.

2 Likes

Butch it sure shows the difference between very talented Rob Williams with suspect character and Shead developed talent and great character! Shead definitely developed more once in college!

4 Likes

Rob gets the nod on offense, Shead on D and rebounds. Probably a push on assists. Since I’m a D first guy, Sheads my pick.

2 Likes

Yes

Jamal is the best. Rob was a freak of nature with God given talent but unlike Jamal, he was not a hard worker or the kind of player that makes teammates better.

1 Like

I think Jamal would have worked well as PG with a line up consisting of

C The Dream
PF Big E
SF Drexler or Dwight Davis
SG Birdsong

5 Likes

YouTube has many of our 1980’s games in March Madness.

Can watch Rob Williams in action.

Shead is better. At defending and At distributing the ball, and at taking the ball to the rack.

1 Like

I’m usually an old guy saying everything in the good ol’ days was better. Shead might be an exception

3 Likes

Williams was a better shooter and much better in the open court at finishing or dishing. Had his head been on straight he would have been a two time All America and we would have won the title in ‘82
He would have been a five star in today’s game and a one and done.
That said I remember Guy was not sad to see him go.
It will be a sad day for Coog nation when Shead is finished.
Like I said before Mr Shead joins Big E as my all time Coog hoopsters!

6 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of UH hoops since 1967. … Shead makes my first team Coog squad.

7 Likes

Rob was undisciplined indeed Guy was not sorry to see him go. The Denver coach called him a fat little pig after coming into training over weight and out of shape. Had very short career because of his laziness. Why he will never be on my all time team. Dunbar or Shead be my all time for PG

1 Like