Shorter Games In The Future?

I did a little digging on first down clock rules. This proposal may be enacted.

“A proposal to let the game clock continue running when a team makes a first down, except in the last two minutes of a half, has broad support. Currently, the clock stops on a first down until the referee gives the ready-for-play signal. A rules committee study last season found about eight plays per game would be cut if the clock kept moving.”

“An eight-play reduction over a 12-game season would save 96 potential injury exposures per team, and there would be over 100 fewer exposures for teams that advance to the playoff.”

Yes, which is why i want the gms to stay as close to 3 hr window as possible. So they don’t go over n have to go watch through the app or other means. Too many gms to fit in.

IMHO games would be shorter if refs did their jobs instead of looking at video.

2 Likes

LOL you are spot on. They are changing rules in baseball to speed up the game this year. It’s the commercials in between innings that slow the game down. Check out the dugouts between innings in MLB there is no rush to get on the field. Players take a few to BS. I had to write a very long paper on the finances of professional sports. Some of the stuff owners used to do to keep people in the ballpark to sell concessions, was actually pretty funny.

1 Like

Leave football alone, they should cut about 50 games off the pro baseball schedule.

1 Like

Shorter commercial breaks. I love hs football. No commercials until the championships.

No more stopping the clock on 1st downs except under 2 mins to end a half.

Easy solution. Not rocket science.

People that want to shorten sporting events are lame asses that budget 6 hrs a day to watch HGTV.

That being said, with Belk as the DC cutting an hr off the game will probably reduce our points allowed down to 45 per game. So I’m all for it.

2 Likes

The NBA schedule could afford to lose about 30, too.

1 Like

if the basic premise is to keep players from getting hurt then eliminate football altogether. it is a brutal sport and injuries are going to happen. Going to war but reducing the number of bullets you can shoot at each other is pretty stupid. Stop shooting altogether so no one is killed or fight until there is a winner, period.

1 Like

Good one. :heavy_check_mark:

Similar to baseball cutting the length of games, at some point doesn’t that cut into the bottom line? A baseball game that is 45 minutes shorter likely has less advertising and less concessions sold (beer, popcorn, water).

Hey the no free +1 kick after a TD is a great idea.

I think they should cut out half the commercial breaks and work in more of the “double box” style commercials to make up for it. It won’t shorten the games for player safety but it would make the games move a little faster.

1 Like

Or expand rosters and mandate a play limit on each player, kind of like pitch limits in Little League. If the number of plays is the actual target, why not just address that directly?

The reason is that it’s not a safety issue at all. They’re trying to free up more commercial time during each game. Follow the money.

2 Likes

Whoaaaaa there Mister…that there’s fighting words :smile:

College football half-time is way too long.

Shorten half-time from 40 minutes to 20 and PROBLEM FIXED!

1 Like

For replay, put a time limit on how long they can review it (i.e. 2 min.) If they can’t find evidence to overturn the call by then, the call on the field stands. TV commentators tend to give their opinion within 1 minute.

This is the official length of halftime, it can be shortened by mutual agreement of both teams:

A college football halftime, which often features the marching band of the home team, lasts a maximum of 20 minutes. Halftime events sometimes include on-field ceremonies, such as the induction of former student-athletes into a school’s hall of fame.

I get it, I’d be fine if they were wrapping the world series up by the time football kicks off in Sept.

2 Likes

Nobody sees UCF or MMA? Please…